Sould I rewire?

Alskouba

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello folks!
I just purshased a 1980 Yamaha xs 650 sg as a project bike. I have been looking for an xs for a while now and when the bike show up I pulled the trigger.It was cheap and add a tittle...
But I bought it being aware that the electric where screwed up and it was really badly maintain.(the previous owner was an Idiot)

SO... I checked every thing and a lot of wire look like they where cut and then put togheter in a hillbilly way.

1.head light does not work and wires have been cut.
2.front flasher's are inexistent and wires have been cut.
3.brake light does not light up when appliying front or rear brake(rear brake wires have been cut.Did not find the wire's of the front brake yet)
4.fuse box does not look stock and as 3 fuses in it.
5. I am not an electrician...

I have a clymer book tried to figure out what was happening there but i could figure anything out.

I will take photo's and post them if it can help.

The real question is will it be easyer for me to rewire everything or I should try to repare what does not work?

Alexis

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 208
A rewire is actually quite simple if you follow a diagram, take your time, and go through everything with patience and precision.

Its also quite enjoyable if you do it that way. If I were you, I would rewire. Its one of the first things I do on any bike i buy.

i agree with the rewire, seems it's a bit of a phobia around here some times, but it's straight forward, and you only wire what you need.

Alright so I just ordered the complete wire harness from xsdirect.com. If I start from scratch with new stuff I will be a lot more confident in my work. I will follow the diagrams and everything should go well. If you have any suggestion or no-no please tell me.
Thanks
Alexis

Rewire it. Peace of mind, plus the knowlege of every detail of your wiring harness. Its worth the effort. Try chasing a 32 year old electrical gremlin, .....I dare you....

If your keeping it stock, then the new wire harness is the easy way to go. It's pretty easy to do, just start at the rear, unplug old and plug in new, following your way to the headlight.

If your going to chop it, remove turn signals, redo the charging system and ignition system, ect.. then build your own wire harness, there's plenty of diagrams here.

Well I am planning to make it work and street legal so I can ride around town.Then I want to do something like this.

Attachments

• Yamaha-XS-650-cafe-racer-1.jpg
    Yamaha-XS-650-cafe-racer-1.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 322
Alright! The new harness is installed and it works fine. Thanks for the tip about starting from the rear and finish with the head light.
I found out that one connector was hanging on the side of the battery and that there is nothing to plug it in.
My head light and flashers are still not working(they where not working with the old harness either) would this be related? If there is a missing part on the bike what is it and where can I find it?
Thanks again
Alexis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 130
Back