spark now gone

dqnjuan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an 83 I just wired up and was starting/running well. Fig out my clutch issue thanks guys it was my stupidity but at least an easy fix.

Any way going for my first real shake down run and after a 2 blocks the bike dies on me. Plenty of juice in the battery all the wiring looks good no spark. After pushing it (uphill of course) I dont see any changes except maybe a wire has come loose powering the ignition kill switch but it may of come loose when I pulled the fake can cover. SO all wires and fuses are back to the way they were but still no spark. Could I have burned up the coil,black box, or rectifier?

Yes the fuses are not blown, the coil was bought a few months ago from mikes xs, new wiring, I just found it odd it was running and stopped with it not being a charging issue since their so common.

83 stock tci ignition, minimal wiring, mikesxs high output replacement coil, new plugs, plug wires, caps. Electrical gremlins are always the worst arent they?

This is the wiring I used. I think I figured out why it blew now just figure out what I screwed up. I forgot the fuse for the ignition and then where the red circle is thats where a wire came loose, possibly shorted out against metal elec box, may have done same thing at connector after kill switch to coil and ignitor unit, didnt want to solder until I knew it was good.
mywiring.jpg

No the black one Part #17-6803 @ mikes, Im thinking coil or ignitor unit is what fried from looking at the diagram since battery is good and all lights still working. First time doing any electrical so sorry if this seems annoying.

Hm. If you were grounding that line, it *shouldn't* matter to the monster. You're just grounding the positive. But it *should* have blown the 20amp coming right off the battery.

Measure across the coil towers. Should be 13kohms, and 3.5ohms across the main woring connectors.

yes I agree it should have blown, Im throwing in the towel and buying a pamco weathers been to nice to wait much longer to ride.

thanks bigjimmy, I ordered the kit off mikes that includes that and a coil so should be good to ride once it comes in and I get it all hooked up. I hope.

Thanks for the help fella's got the pamco in no problem and fired right up. Finally went for my first real ride!! Heres what Im working with now.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

my wife wanted a seat, It holds her I have bolt passenger pegs but I think its too small a bike to two up.

Its actually a front fender from a 77 harley. Bolted to a tab on the frame on the bottom, bolted to sissy bar and a small tab in the middle welded.

But as long as its supported and metal fender should do.

Back