Spark Plug Caps

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What type of spark plug caps are on the stock 79 xs650 specials? The non-resistor ones from Mikes XS don't look correct to me. Thanks for the help!

Your '79 came with 5K ohm resister caps, Mike's part number 23-3113 (OEM Reference #
• 4BP-82370-00-00)

Use the NGK BP7ES as a stock plug. Others have used an Autolite AP63 available at Walmart for cheap. The terminal end at the top of the plug is unscrewed and removed.

The original plug caps resemble NGKs but are not marked so there's no telling for sure. They had a rather odd 8 or 9K ohm rating. The replacement of choice is, as mentioned, the NGK. You can use the 5K ohm version but if running points, you can use the no resistance 0 ohm type, part #LZFH .....

NGKLZFH.jpg

The 5K ohm caps are available in two types, the "E" and "F". That denotes the spark plug terminal type they fit, the nut or stud (nut removed). I prefer the stud type as I think they grip better .....

NGKLB05.jpg

A note on those Autolite plugs. They have their terminal nut cast right in place and it can't be removed. You would need the "E" type plug cap for them.

The Autolite plugs I buy, the cap unscrews. I recently bought a few sets of Ebay because my local Wal Mart quit carrying them. Got them a bit cheaper too.
Don't recall exactly, but I think it was $2.99 or so a pair.
Leo

I'm giving the NGK iridium plugs a shot. They just showed up today and it snowed here in PA so it's a little too cold for a ride to test then out

The Autolite plugs I buy, the cap unscrews. I recently bought a few sets of Ebay because my local Wal Mart quit carrying them. Got them a bit cheaper too.
Don't recall exactly, but I think it was $2.99 or so a pair.
Leo

That was the Autolite AP63 you are talkin' about, Leo?

Back