Sparx capacitor

I am running a Sparx cap without any issues other than a dimming headlight at idle. What do you have as far as the rest of your charging system? If you have the stock charging system the cap will not work, the stock charging system must have a good charged battery to function.

I'm not sure if it is entirely needed but all the lights should be off at the start. Anything electrical, other than the ignition, will steal the meager current produced at kick over.

update. got it running. had a swapped lead (ignition wire to headlight, and headlight to ignition on the key tumbler). bike runs great past idle. at idle i hate this thing. i'm going to run a 0.8 aH sla battery to help smooth everything out andkeep the capacitor in case the battery tries to leave me stranded...

doesn't create enough charge atidle to really keep the bike running... also idle is very eratic and changes often... and the word was hate, not don't like... haha

i am running a bigger cap than the sparx. mine runs fin at idle. i tried a .8ah battery from a alarm system. it died one day and left me many miles from home. i went back with a bigger cap. after that no problems, lights dont dim at idel bike runs great++ no worries about dead battery.

I have the PMA and the Sparx setup. At idle mine runs fine even with headlight and taillight running. When my clutch is set right, it starts first kick.

I also have the Pamco ignition installed.

So, I was doing some soul searching with this a while ago. I actually bought the sparx cap. Then, I remembered cruising with my previous setup: Boyer, Stock Charging, 0.7mAh battery. I remember not having a high beam. So, I went ahead and bought the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12. I don't have the bike running yet, but I am confident that will all those amps I will circumvent any issues like this.

With all that said I realize that I am not exactly helping you with the problem. But, I wanted to toss out my thoughts on the matter. Good luck with it and if you decide its the capacitor that is bunk, let me know and I'll mail you mine. Unused.

:cheers:

Hey man, mighty cool of you to offer. I pretty sure the little battery will fill in the voltage void the capacitor lacks, but I appreciate it much

what's the value of the cap? maybe you do need a bigger 1 and did you check to see if your charging system is good

It's a sparx capacitor, not sure on size. Heard of lots of people running these on xs'. I'll have to check the leads off my regulator to make sure I'm not putting too much into my cap, as that is what a fried regulator does. Also make sure a wire isn't connected well enough.

i am running a bigger cap than the sparx. mine runs fin at idle. i tried a .8ah battery from a alarm system. it died one day and left me many miles from home. i went back with a bigger cap. after that no problems, lights dont dim at idel bike runs great++ no worries about dead battery.

which cap are you running and were did you get it?

it's not only over voltage you might under voltage, could be a bad rectifire or a phase is gone on your stator check your voltage when at idel

Why are you wasting time with a Sparx? Get one of these. Hell, it'll even start a DeLorean.

flux-capacitor.jpg

Back