Speaking of cars......

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Having been without a car since September I finally found a couple candidates.
First is a 99 Celica convertible, second is a 89 Celica convertible, and way out in third is a Mercury Capri. I rejected the idea of getting a Miata (want a back seat) , Lexus SC 430 (Nightmares about problems with the top), and Mustang (Too big).
The Capri has only 27k miles and is in mint condition. Too nice for me. I would be hesitant to take it to a drive in and have a food spilled in it.
I check out the 89 in four days and the 99 the following week. I will definitely buy one of the two this month.
It might be below zero outside but I am definitely “Thinking Spring “.

FWIW, I'd go for the '99 Celica. While they discontinued the model in 2006, there's, literally, millions of 'em out there, so parts won't be a problem (at least for a while). The '89? Too old (regardless of condition). Newer cars supposedly have more safety features. And the Capri was a re-issue of an extinct brand, meaning parts will be problematic. Just sayin'. :twocents::shrug:

My parents had a 22RE Celica Convertible for a bit and it was a fantastic little car for them despite over 160k miles at the time.

Saw a couple TCC out where rust don't live, would be a good road trip bring one back after the salt's gone....

Something about '89.......?

I seem to recall my cousin having to deal with some sort of proprietary Toyota changing OBD evolution issues for '89, and difficulty with airbags.......?

OBD 1 is the devil, all the fun of early computers with no real self diagnostic capability. They work fine until they don't and then it's generally a huge pain to get them back right.

Back