Special vs. Heritage Special seats

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Do all of the "lift off" seats interchange?

I've seen Specials with a "flatter" seat and the brake light low on the fender. I've also seen them with the more "stepped" seat that also comes on the Heritage Special models. This seat has the tail light at the rear of the seat and the larger aluminum grab bar (usually, but I've also seen them with the round, chrome grab bar).

I can find some pics if needed but, basically, will the flatter version of the lift-off seat fit on all models, assuming I do something about the tail light?

In other words: With the right seat/fender/tail light, could I take a bike that looks like...

THIS
BenS1.jpg

..and make it look like...
THIS
P6260070.jpg

The second picture is a 78 or 79 Special, which has the side hinged seat. The 80 to 83 having the "lift off" seats, would seem to not be easily adaptable.

Yes, everyone wants their bikes to look like a 78 Special :D(minus the buck horn bars)

^That is true; the '80 was a one-year deal where it's compatible forwards, but has the smaller step of the earlier seats

You can spot an '80 seat if it hasn't been recovered by the checkerboard like pattern as opposed to the rolled patter of the '81 and forward.

I did what i think you are trying to do. for my '81 I got an '80 seat, for better comfort, and since I had a luggage rack which hid the '81 tail light, I got a fender and light from a '79, which just bolts on. If you got a special II grab bar it would look even more like your second pic. The auction seat, I don't know what it is, might not even be an xs. You have to watch those guys on ebay - they call anything anything.

Ah - the only issue with doing this is the '80 seat is still open in the back. leave the black plastic there but remove the light. On the inside of the plastic bolt on a scrap of black plastic to cover the hole. Looks pretty factory that way really.

The lines are completely different from the SE/SF to SG and later, :rolleyes: obviously. I have been playing around with this on my 80 Special and you need to get a SE/SF rear guard because of the reinforcing where it mounts on, even with the extra reinforcing they do have a tendency to crack around the mount holes. Buyer beware.....how do i know :banghead:
The seat lines from the 80SG on do not match up with a grab rail from a SE/SF, you would have to have the same seat to match...could weld on some hinges or cut down a clip on seat pan to match it and if you do that the side-covers from the SE/SF are metal and have a different slope than the plastic 80SG and on and if you change to the SE/SF side-covers the mounting lugs have to be welded on the frame.

It can be done with a little work and for me the SE/SF still retain the real bike look before plastic look took over

The '78, '79 Special seats rock. I hope to be trying an adaption to my '83 soon....change # ?

I've had success utilizing the front seat forks from the '83, and snaps- to mount a glass pan seat. The trick to using snaps is to get the seat pan, bare, where it's going to sit.....find the contact points between the pan and the seat rails and drill through the pan into the rails. Install the snaps and re-cover the seat..... and if the stars are aligned properly and you've been a good human being......

650Skull I got to looking at schematics after that other thread.
The 80 G is a hinge mount, the 80 SG is a lift off?
I don't know the difference in the pans

OP you might have better results with reshaping and recovering your pan.
The bike in my avatar started out with the steped seat.
I didn't leave a step. But to take the whole "hump" it makes it look kinda swaybacked.

OP you might have better results with reshaping and recovering your pan.

I've actually done that before with an '83. I still have this seat.

P5100034Medium.jpg

What I'm more concerned about is losing the tail light....or at least using a smaller one on the fender.

I've also made a Brat Style seat for a Heritage Special. It worked well with the sloping side covers.

P6120048Medium.jpg

Yeah sorry I had the assumption the hump was the main concern.
I've been thinking about a skirt on the back side of the special seat.
It does have quite the gap. In the "skirt" you could put 3, 3/4" red LEDS for brake lights.

A question on the black bike. Is that Gordon Scotts brace over the stock fender?

It's one of MikesXS's braces. That bike is changed up a little now. My Dad owns it now and it looks like this, except now with new tires, Progressive shocks and a Viper fairing:

P5010014Medium.jpg

Scott, those are very pretty bikes; just keep doing what you're doing ;) Rabble rousers note that they are Specials....

It's one of MikesXS's braces. That bike is changed up a little now. My Dad owns it now and it looks like this, except now with new tires, Progressive shocks and a Viper fairing:

P5010014Medium.jpg
Hey Scott...where did he get the seat done...the profile is excellent and it really opens some space compared to the stock Heritage Special seat...message me back if you can dgigac...thanks Dave

Hey Scott...where did he get the seat done...the profile is excellent and it really opens some space compared to the stock Heritage Special seat...message me back if you can dgigac...thanks Dave

Yes, the seat was from MikesXS. Last time I looked, they were NLA.

the mikes xs does not interchange, u have to lose stuff for it to fit
If you look at Scott's Pops bike, the grab bar has been removed along with the brick tail light. The rear fender hasn't been replaced but a Lucas style repro tail light has been mounted where the old license lamp was, probably utilizing the two existing holes and adding an upper hole for the repro light. It's a simple swap, a beautiful upgrade.

Back