Speedometer drive unit gone south..

Heimir Bardason

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Dear friends of the Forum.

Where would I be able to obtain a speedometer drive unit for my XS 650 1977 model ? I have searched the internet and come up with nothing. Nothing on Mike´s XS ( which I find is getting more and more expensive)
My original one is seized and I cannot find a way to take it apart.
Any ideas ??

XS regards,
Heimir Bardason

With a handle Like Heimir Bardason I'm guessing you are in scandinavia?
I got em but international shipping is about $35USD? or $22 first class. 10 USD for the part.

I think if Yamaha would have just made a few more models of the XS, I'm pretty sure we would never find anything. I got all excited to get this part number only to find my 79 Special is not on the list. I suspect there is a chance it would fit but, there may be a difference in the hubs between the wire and mag wheels. anybody have an opinion??

It will fit. As far as I know, all 650 disc wheel speedo drives are the same, mag or spoke. Another even nicer option is the drive from a TX750. They're natural alloy and not painted, and they polish up real nice. I run one on mine. Easy cheap way to add a little "bling", lol .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-73-Yam...ash=item1a050afe4a:g:FiEAAOSw~gRV3N3~&vxp=mtr

SpeedoDrive.jpg

The 750 disc mounting hole cover is also very nice as well but harder to come by. It's cast alloy too so it polishes up easily.

Thanks 5 I bought it. My lost spedo drive has caused way more trouble than it's worth so, hopefully, this will put it to rest. and if not, it's only 12 bucks.

The only external difference on this 750 unit (besides color) is that it only has one locating tab instead of two like the black ones. That's fine, one is all that's needed to keep it from rotating forward as the wheel spins. Just be sure to rotate it forward before tightening the axle until the one tab contacts the stop boss on the fork leg.

It's a good idea with any of these old drive units to take them apart, clean, and re-grease them. All you need remove is the big gear and associated parts out the back side (#9-12). #9 is a wire retaining ring. Remove that and the other parts slide right out. There's no need to remove the small gear that the cable fits into (#15). You can clean that in place. Clean the side that shows, rotate a little, clean, rotate some more, etc.

SpeedoDrive.jpg

Thanks for your answer gggGary; Yes I am in Scandinavia.
I know a few pilots and flight assistance's which I would let you send the part to. Do you have a store of some kind ?
ks hansen; Thank you kindly for your input!
5twins; The big gear and associated parts are fine, it´s the small gear that the cable fits into (#15) that is seized. I have´nt figured a way to loosen it and take it apart. Even after 1 beer..........

No store but I have the part and can ship to Sweden. I'm off for a weeks vacation, be back mid April.

I never took any of those little gear parts out either. One of the reasons is that except for the roll pin (#27), none of them are available any more. Mess any up and the whole unit is ruined. But in your case, what do you have to lose? It's already broken, lol. I suppose one would start by removing the roll pin. Then the threaded end (#17) would have to be pulled out some how. Maybe with an old speedo cable connected to it, you could yank it out.

Well, I will blast old Deep Purple and some pscycodelic rock through my speakers, open a beer, look at the scan you were nice enough to send me, and imagine it´s an old girlfriend. That´l do it !!!!

Back