spoke sources

Irydebikes

XSessively enthusiastic
Reaction score
I am looking at re building a set of Heritage Special wheels I tore apart and had powder coated. Has anyone used the spoke kits from Mike's XS? I'm planning to buy the stainless steel replacement kit from him for these wheels but wanted to see if there was any feedback from the group. Is he the only source for spokes, and are they good quality? Thanks guys!

Yes, I used Mike's spokes to convert my 48-spoke, 16 inch rear wheel to an 18 inch and his 64-spoke set to convert my front to a 21 inch wheel - very satisfied with the spokes.

Buchannon's makes the best spokes in the world, for almost anything with wire wheels. Expect to pay top buck for top quality.
I thought that the spokes I used from MikesXS were low quality. Not very bright finish, weak threads and nipples. Make sure your nipple wrench fits really tight or you will round off the nipples when final torquing them.
Low price, low quality.

I used their 21" fronts and 18" rear sets with no problems. I did have to reuse the stock front nipples because mikes didn't fit the rim I was using and I didn't want to drill out my chrome rim for fear of rusting around the holes. Be sure to use some nipple lube when putting them together.

I just built 16" rear and 21" front Heritage Special wheels with the stainless steel spokes from Mikes and I have no complaints at all, went nice and smooth.

Mikes spokes worked great for my rear wheel rebuild.. Have some photo's on my profile. As daroberts3 says buchannon's makes some great stuff but if you're sticking to a budget the mikes should be fine.

Just talked to a guy that used the mikes spokes on one end and taiwan ebay spokes on the other He said the mikes spokes were much better. I just got a set of wheels tonight with new Mikes spokes once I relace them to the correct pattern they should be great!

I used their 21" fronts and 18" rear sets with no problems. I did have to reuse the stock front nipples because mikes didn't fit the rim I was using and I didn't want to drill out my chrome rim for fear of rusting around the holes. Be sure to use some nipple lube when putting them together.

That could come in handy for Valentines day next week :devil::bed:

Got the spokes and laced the wheels up. Turned out great, very happy with the Mikes spokes. Talked to Buchannon's and the set would have been about 4x the cost. Maybe when I win the lottery and make a concourse resto bike. :) Thanks to all for the feedback, much appreciated!

Back