Sport/Touring

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
I love my 70's Yamahas. I've also got a 98' Honda Magna if I need it, (and sometimes I do). But I have no experience with the more modern sports/touring bikes and from time to time I wonder what I'm missing. Thinking maybe it would be fun to find a nice GSXR or maybe a V Strom. Am I going to the dark side? It might be fun to see what's been happening with brakes, clutches, suspension, etc. while I've been gone. I've got a little bread to blow, what would you try? :shrug:

roy

Take a look at an FJR1300. I was able to ride one on a 500mi day 2up and we both really liked it alot. They have been largely unchanged throughout the model years, so a nice clean used one would be a good buy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
The Vstrom 650 or 1000 are both good choices, but the Gixxer is a torture rack for this old guy.

img_zps66305e3f.jpg

have you ridden a GSXR!? the seating is NOT long distance friendly. I suggest honda VFR800, Ducati ST2/3/4, Kawasaki Versys 650/1000

VFR's are also wicked v4 awesome and reliable as all hell.

honda-vfr-800-04.jpg

Suggest you dont ride a Ducati if you never ever wanna get bloody hooked for life!

15026.jpg

I own a Versys 650, makes 65hp and i have toured all over with it, I had to get an aftermarket seat though. But comfy, plenty fast, Givi bags, taller windshield, crash bars, plugs for heated gear and set to ride alllll over. Used Versys are plentiful too and id say = to vstrom. I picked a new one up in 2010 for about 9500CDN with givi hard bags. I was seriously considering Versys 1000, but the 650 is just plenty and i like to ride dirt with it too (put some dirty tires on too) and the 4cyl adds alot of weight.

w1150h625_000003408A23B55B.jpg

Next choice, Ninja 1000. Same motor as Versys 1000, 134hp, bags, fairly comfy. I was close....but the battle for dirt riding won me out.

big_7kawasaki_z1000sx_2011_08.jpg

And yes, i have owned Ducs, super reliable now,. it aint the 70's anymore. My bro in law has 70,000kms on his monster 620.

Last edited:
Plus one the Gixxers are too extreme, ST1100 / are nice if you aren't too tall I banged my knees on the cylinder head covers @ 6'3" ZX14 will knock your socks off and clean into the washing machine, but a one way ticket to jail for me. Handling and brakes on modern bikes will quickly spoil you. The lack of "soul" is a different issue. One problem with the big bombers is they aren't much fun in town. Where's your budget? FZ1 is a pretty damned good compromise, and have great reliability. All the power you'd ever want one up, and found like new for near stupid cheap. You can find a low miles great shape 1st gen FZ1 for around $3K 2nd Gen 4-5K I was unimpressed with a 1200 Bandit after the FZ1.

Thanks for the input guys. Know this, I'm a shrimp at 5'6" and 130lbs. Retired now and could spend maybe 6 or 8K for the right bike. Worried about saddle height and weight of bike. Love the twisties and for me a long ride is maybe 500 miles.

roy

Don't dismiss trying a Burgman, damned fine machines. Self image on a "scooter" might be a hurdle.

ah, Versys is very tall. Vstrom has a much lower seat height. Vstrom 650 would fit the bill forsure.

I would really try a vfr800. The one i rode i really enjoyed.

Friend of mine has Burgman 650, 70 mpg, x-countrys everywhere, swears by it.
I don't like the small wheels, get that nervois feeling like during your first taildragger landing, little wheels in front of CG, ya know...

My age, health, bum leg, love of lazyboy comfort, low CG, has had me shopping.
Thought about Yamaha Stryker...

My freind who is 5'4", rides a '96 Ho*da Pacific Coast. If you can take all the "scooter" jokes, it's a nice, laid back bike. It's no rocketship, but can scoot right along. Plus a trunk you can use as a cooler back at the campsite.

Triumph has some pretty rad bikes out now. Old charm with new tech as well as modern style bikes with a Triumph twist.

My '98 Duc ST2 and I will probably grow old together (by most standards, we already have). But if I were starting from scratch, I'd have a 1999+, which scrapped a challenged single phase electrical system (1998 only) for a more robust 3 phase. It's a two valve head, which keeps maintenance within my skill/patience range, at the expense of some OH MY GOD at the throttle of an ST4 (4 valve heads) or ST3 (3 valve), which are a bit more time-consuming to service. Fun bikes, all of them. I am 5'11" with a 33 inseam and can flat-foot it with a bend in my knees.

Also try to find one of the first-generation Multistradas - especially the 1,000. Spicy, and versatile.

All of them with plenty of headroom under your target price.

The best sport/touring bike is
The Triumph Speed Tripple.
Yep thats right!
In 1994 it was the starting of the street fighter generation.
And she has come along ways.
And now there are a number of followers.
The price is right,the ride is great.The throttle curve is nice a flat,so it has a good responce to the throttle from what ever RPM range You are in.

Speed triples are definitely dreamy..

I also like suzuki sv's. Sporty, but more comfortable than the 4 banger super bikes.

Thanks of the observations. I think I'm gonna go lookin' for a 650 VStrom. I've never read a bad word about them and from what I've read the saddle height can be lowered without compromising the handling very much. I'd love to try a Ducati but not sure I could handle the tuning. The search begins......

roy

My freind had a 650 Vstrom and it always had an off-idle stumble that drove him crazy. He finally sold it and bought a BMW. Just sayin'.....

Back