Sportster front wheel on 79 650 special

BruceDeuce

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone used a sportster, dyna , fxr,on their XS? Are the axles on the the same?

3/4 inch axles on earlier models, 1 inch since 99 I think. You can get different bearings. The hubs are somewhere around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 inches wide, if that helps. If I were going to do it, I'd have a combination sleeve bushing and spacer made that would make the axle diameter work and act as the appropriate spacer as well. I've had a bunch made for doing H-D wheels on Road Stars. I have them cut from 304 stainless steel.

Attachments

• axle adapters.jpg
    axle adapters.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 154
Yes the HD axle is 3/4, I believe its a 79-80 wheel.That would work and be safe as well. Thanks for the photo and direction JD!

Thats sweet James. The wheel I have is a mag very similar to the XS. Did you have to modify anything?

Actually that older H-D axle is 5/8" or .625" or 15.87MM. ---This is wrong. I fucked up!

They went to a 3/4" which is a .75". I have seen them run with a 19MM axle.

Last edited:
Actually, this model drum brake axle is not 5/8", but 17mm. It is a common misconception because a lot of people can't get their head around the fact that harley davidson has used metric parts on their motorcycles.
Also, it would be impossible to have "slop" because 17mm is a bit bigger than .625(5/8").

Last edited:
Actually, this model drum brake axle is not 5/8", but 17mm. It is a common misconception because a lot of people can't get their head around the fact that harley davidson has used metric parts on their motorcycles.
Also, it would be impossible to have "slop" because 17mm is a bit bigger than .625(5/8").

My math sux!!!:doh: I'll leave my shithouse math mistake for others to see!:oops:

Is that front wheel from the Aeromacchi era perhaps?

Bruce, I'm guessing you're wanting to run one of the newer HD alloys?

James, that is still one of my all-time fave XS's. That old sporty drum looks right at home on there.

I have a 63 sporty drum on mine. Runs a metric axle. Slid right in, just had to fab a stop arm, spacers, and a cable holder

Posted via Mobile

Sorry took so long to respond. Been down with momo. I believe this wheel id 1980 or so. Its a mag with dual rotors.

Back