Sportster Petcock Problem (HELP PLEASE)

Equalizer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Sporty tank that has male thread on the right side. I bought a 22mm petcock thinking that was the right size, but it only goes on about two threads and thats it.
I need help :banghead:

That should be right. Are you aware that the threads on the body of the petcock (not the tank) are reverse threaded? If you still have problems, post a picture of the petcock and of the tank bung.

Thank you

It starts to go on normal then locks up.
Your saying the nut from the petcock to the tank is reverse threaded?
Kinda weird how it will start the regular way.
The tank has a male end and the petcock is 22mm nut.
Ill check it out again.

Kinda what I was thinking xj.
Thread profile is metric on one and npt on the other.
It takes a round or two for the pieces to figure out they don't like each other?

Half the fasteners on any Harley made in the last 15 years are metric.

Anyways, back to the problem, there should be a big lock nut on your petcock. One side of this nut has regular threads, and the other side has reverse threads. I don't expect this to make sense to any one who has never handled this type of petcock. When you turn the big lock nut, you are tightening both threads simultaneously. This enables you to position and hold the petcock at whatever orientation you want, and then tighten it with the locknut without having the lever move to an undesirable orientation.
If you still have problems, post a picture of the petcock and of the tank bung.

This has been a PITA.
It is possible that you have a bad thread on either the bung or the locknut, so examine them carefully. They are very fine threads, and it doesn't take much to bugger one. Other than that, if what I said before makes sense, then make sure that you don't have the big locking nut upside down, and that you are trying to screw the reverse threaded part of the locknut onto the bung. When everything is right, the locknut should screw at least a good half inch onto the bung, nut just two turns like you wrote.
If you bought the petcock online, post a link to it. If you bought it locally, take it and the tank to the person who sold it to you.

They petcock nut does not have reverse threads. If you look at them both the petcock and tank have right hand threads. One is a fine thread the other is coarse. Thread the nut on the fine thread about halfway. Now start to thread the coarse thread on. Hold the petcock in the positon you want it. As you thread the nut on it threads on the coarse threads faster than the fine thread threads off. It may take a few tries to get it so about half the nut is on both the tank and petcock.
That's how the petcock on my Harley works so I think they all do.
Leo

I stand by what I previously said. Fine threads on both sides. Reverse threads on the petcock side of the locknut, normal threads on the bung side of the locknut. You hold both the petcock and tank stationary, and tightening the locknut tightens both sets of threads simultaneously. I am holding a spare 22mm Harley-type petcock in my hand as I write this.

Equalizer emailed me some pics of his bung and the petcock. Here is what I wrote back to him:

Your bung and petcock look correct. All I can say is what I have already said. Make sure the locknut is not upside-down, and make sure the threads on the locknut and the bung are not buggered.
There must be a Harley dealer in Indianapolis, you could try taking your tank and the petcock to them and ask them to take a look at it.
BTW, I did a little research, that petcock is normally called a 13/16" petcock. Some people call it a 22mm petcock. The packaging on the Biker's Choice photo that you sent me calls it a 21mm petcock, but I am sure they are all the same thing. You could try buying one from a seller that calls it a 13/16" petcock, and see if it works, but really, they should all be the same. One last thing, the one in the pics you sent me has a straight down nipple. You usually need a 90 degree, right-facing nipple so that the fuel line does not run into the engine.

You are right about the threads on the petcock being reverse thead and the bung on the tank having regular threads.

Thanks and ill keep you guys posted on what I find.

Just installed a new petcock on my sportser tank today and it was just that - reverse threads on the petcock, normal on the tank IIRC. Easy to install.

Your going to have to unscrew some of the threads from the petcock side otherwise it will bottom out before you go anywhere.

RetroLS1, which petcock did you go with?
Frkymnky, I actually tried just the nut by itself. Still the same results. Threads look good on both the tank and petcock.
I think I'm going to try one more before I run to the HD shop. It's a good ways away.

Back