Spring rate testing

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
After looking all over my local area for someone that had a spring tester I decided to man up and make my own. I was surprised hw many performance machine shops and big money pro engine builders didn't have one and after watching the old Rimacs bring in $400+ on ebay I built this.

I know it would work in a vise, drill press or arbor press but I wanted more control on the compression and a way to hold it there for precise measuring. It took some thinking to make it adjustable for more then one type of spring. I think I got it. My last mod is to design a saftey cage after having one pop out at 200+ psi and catch me in the finger before dancing around my garage.

It was something I needed since I picked up many assorted valve and clutch springs in a buy I made a while back with minimal notes and ID. If anyone needs springs tested let me know and I will do it for a reasonable cost. It is not so important on stock builds but when you get outside the box this can make ideas come to life without total guessing. I already found out a few things that were interesting. If you look at the spring in the vise now you can see it has 96 psi at installed hieght of 1.457 compared to 35 - 42 psi of a stock one. The clutch spring info will be handy too once I get into building my slipper clutch.

Attachments

• spring011.jpg
    spring011.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 111
  • spring013.jpg
    spring013.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 118
  • spring008.jpg
    spring008.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 97
The scale shown that I am using is from Harbor frieght. $9.99 with a coupon. I might find a way to mount it to this tool and go get another for $10. It even comes with a case and spare new battery. Good enough for what I am using it for.

Wow, has it been over 7 years now?
Time for an update.

I have varieties of springs that I need to test, get their spring rates, as part of my Victory Vegas clutch booster/helper project.

https://www.thevog.net/threads/reducing-clutch-lever-pull-reach-effort.165089/

One of the groups of springs for testing are my old XS1B clutch springs. These are the 34.6mm 256-16333-10 clutch springs as used on 70-79 clutches. The later manuals show that these springs should have a spring rate of: 2.6kg/mm (145.6 lb/in). And, I wanted to confirm that by testing my old springs.

Since I'm testing only straight-rate springs, I should be able to find their spring rates by simply applying a known force, and measure the resulting deflection. Then, that force divided by the measured deflection should yield the spring rate.

So, I repurposed my old gadget that was used in the XS650 clutch cable testing thread.

NewMech.jpg ClCbl-F02.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch-cable-experiments-and-tidbits.32945/#post-334335

The idea here is to dangle a known weight from the contraption, which will compress the spring, and a dial test indicator will show the deflection.

For the weight, I clamped a pair of heavy press plates together with a C-clamp, and clamped a hook to that, somewhere above the weight's CG. My precision digital scale shows it to be 19.1 lbs.

20210312_SpringTesting01.jpg

The contraption is set atop a stand, spring fitted in there, and a tension rod goes thru the spring, with a hook on the end. The dial indicator is adjusted to "zero".

20210312_SpringTesting02.jpg

Now, the weight is lifted and hooked onto the dangling tension rod.

20210312_SpringTesting03.jpg

The dial indicator shows a deflection of 0.134".

Back