Springer front end question

stevec8831

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local swap meet the other day and came across a good looking springer, really nice and heavy. Plus the guy was willing to sell it for $500. Only problem is that it is a standard size springer and not a two inch under which is recommended to use on the XS650. My question to everyone is this, how much would using a standard size harley front end throw off the geometry of the bike? :bike:

If i remember correctly the 2" under is 22" long so a stock Harley should be close to that. If its a aftermarket Springer you got ripped off not worth $500.00 when you can buy new for $400.00 Harley factory springer are much better than aftermarket but i have used over 10 DNA and never had a problem. Measuse what you got and it will give you a idea of how tall it will be and if you have to you can rake the neck to make up the difference.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKnME4N+Kr!EHBOGJkEkS-g~~_3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 165
  • frame&springer.jpg
    frame&springer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 117
  • th_kutz.jpg
    th_kutz.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 104
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 152
A hard tail with a springer ? Might as well get real retro and get a horse ! ( Now that's what I call old school . * I wonder what the bobber builders would do to customize a horse ? )

No it is not an aftermarket dna springer. It is alot heavier, I think it is an original harley springer. I measured from the top of the bottom bearing to the axle and it measures 22" on the springer. Then I measured from the top of the bottom bearing to the axle on my 650 and it is 20".

no, not a hard tail. Everybody seems to do a hard tail. I'm using the original 650 frame. I just chopped some of the seat and rear fender framing off the back of the frame. I just like to be different. :)

no, not a hard tail. Everybody seems to do a hard tail. I'm using the original 650 frame. I just chopped some of the seat and rear fender framing off the back of the frame. I just like to be different. :)
Nice . Post some pics when you get it together. I like the look of a spinger but I ride too hard to ever own one.

I will be 61 in a couple weeks and always had a hardtail . I have had shock bikes too. But just old school and if you set it up correctly it rides like a shock bike. I rode a hardtail for years in NY pot hole city and yes sometimes its tough but you got to love it. I also would like to see a picture of your bike when done with the springer and shocks. Sounds like its going to be different....

Attachments

• 48 harley.jpg
    48 harley.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 114
  • 650KZ.jpg
    650KZ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 122
  • xs650orange.jpg
    xs650orange.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 112
I had a buddy that died a couple of years ago that had a Hydra-glide hard tail . Not sure if it was a '63 or if he got in '63 but he said he was the original owner. No electric start ,it didn't come with one , and he was a skinny little guy ,maybe 140 lbs.

I will be 61 in a couple weeks and always had a hardtail . I have had shock bikes too. But just old school and if you set it up correctly it rides like a shock bike. I rode a hardtail for years in NY pot hole city and yes sometimes its tough but you got to love it. I also would like to see a picture of your bike when done with the springer and shocks. Sounds like its going to be different....

I'm sure I'll post some pics when finished. Most of the bikes I've built in the past have been hardtail ironheads. My last was a 76 ironhead. But I have always wanted to do an older yamaha 650 or honda 750 or even a triumph.

Back