Sprocket chain tensioners

Geezerman35

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I think it's about time I aired this out.Coupla months ago, I asked my local mechanic to install a chain tensioner for me.
I took him a photo of the one Ardcore was advertising, and gave him their web address.
He contacted them and ordered one for me and also one for himself.
Now, several of the XS builders are featuring this same tensioner, both bolt on and weld on.

Ardcore has been feeding us Bullshit for two months.... no tensioners. Vinnie is going to try to contact some of the others.
But we're figuring that they all have the same source and we're beginning to suspect that Ardcore and the rest may be waiting for them to come in from CHINA !!!!!!
Any feed back from this?:wtf:

ive been looking into chain tensioners. is this a thing that like everyone gets? i am hardtailing my XS and i am unsure if i should pick one of these up, and if so, the skateboard wheel kind or the sprocket kind... any advice?

I've heard that the only problem with the skateboard wheel is that you have to maintain the bearing otherwise the wheel will stick and the chain will create a nasty groove.

I'm looking for some knowledge on this as well tho.

What kind of stretch are you running?

Build one:

detail_332_troy-fab-chain-tensioner-photo-1.jpg

large_332_troy-fab-chain-tensioner-photo-7.jpg

motorcyclechaintensionerphoto1-vi.jpg

This is the unit I'm referring to.
I like the idea of having the spring tensioner.
Bare knuckle choppers, Monstercraftsman, Ardcore, Lowbrow customs, and probably more show this apparently same unit in their ads.
Was it just our bad luck that we (I) picked Ardcore first?

Vinnie says he's going to give up on Ardcore and start looking elsewhere.
(BTW, Vinnie runs a small bike shop here in Crystal River, Fl, "Cycle Solutions")

Good idea for using a clamp spring. I could resort to that even tho I'm not equipped for building. My bike functions fine. I have a long Paugho frame and a long chain. The lack of a tensioner is not keeping me from riding.
That wasn't my main point in this thread however, which was, why do these 'builders' advertise stuff for sale when they do not make them theirselves, do not have any, and do not know when they may get some?

I know this is a bit old..but where exactly were we "advertising" this chain tensioner?
Cuz last time I checked we don't really advertise..And it's not and never has been on our website.
I think maybe your mechanic maybe be feeding you some BS,as we haven't had an order for one in over 6 months.
i'd like to know who Vinnie spoke with,so I can handle it on my end as well.

Yer right. It is an old post. And guess who still does not have a chain tensioner,
OK, yer also right that I didn't see the tensioner in your magazine ad. I DID see it in you ad on the XS650 chopper site!
http://www.xs650chopper.com/
I took a HORSE magazine to Vinnie to show him what I wanted because another (builder) had a foto of the exact same tensioner in his ad.
I dropped the name 'Ardcore' to Vinnie because that's where I first saw it, and he said he would look it up. He told me that he had ordered a bolt on for me and a weld on for himself. Several check backs and we were told that it was being expected momentarily. Was even told that they (you ?) would have one after Daytona Bikerweek because they wanted to have a full stock to take to that event. After that, more BS.
Vinnie finally started to look around. Said he found another (builder) who 'carried' the same tensioner. Vinnie said THIS guy finally leveled with him, saying all who show that tensioner get them from the same source. Hinting that the Asian ship hasn't come in yet!

I'll see Vinnie today and ask if he has a name. He talked to some one where he first ordered several times.
Clay

Clay,
I think there was some confusion about who's ad you saw..Yes we have an ad on xs650chopper but it is also clustered with other ads one of which being Monster Craft that has(makes) tensioners.For the record we don't advertise in mags at all..The tensioners we use on our build we make and don't offer to the public as there are plenty of them on the market already.

I searched our emails and found nothing from anyone named Vinnie or from his shop.

I'll concede that there must be some crossed wires somewhere in this deal.
When I first took the photo to Vinnie (from a Mag) and dropped the name Ardcore to him, he brought up your website, while I was there, and said OK here it is, I'll order it.
Today, Vinnie insists that it was Ardcore that he ordered from. He went back in his planner and found the name 'John' and a number. This is who had been dealing with, he said. He called the number while I was there and guess what,? that number has been disconnected.
If I've dissed you wrongly, I apologize.
BTW I did find, while looking back, that Monster Craft had advertised this tensioner 650 Choppers as far back as November '09.
Who in the hell has some?

Clay,
Yep I think that is what has happened. The guy that runs monster craft is also named John and I can tell you our number is good to go,as the phone never seems to stop ringing.
I am glad that you have handled this convo well as 9x's outta 10 this sort of thing goes south.
I was wanting to cover all bases and make sure no one on our end dropped the ball.
If we happen to have a tensioner around the shop I will let you know,since it's sounds like you haven't found one yet.

Back