Sprockets

NW200

NW200
Reaction score
I,m a new member, and looking forward to lots of info. I have a 1979 XS 650 SF just got the tank and side covers painted, changed over to Pamco, and new cam gear guides, bike runs well what I want to know what is the best sprockets for short trips and around town, I would like to lower the rpm and ride around 60 mph. Thanks

A 34T rear sprocket was standard on the U.S. 650s but up in Canada, many of the Special models came equipped with a 36T. It's very possible that's what you've got. Dropping it to a 32 or 33T sprocket should serve you well. It will make cruising at 60 much more comfortable but won't kill your lower gear and around town performance.

I like the 17 front, 32 rear. You will need to use the clutch a bit more gently at starting out but once you reach about 10 mph your golden.
Ever tooth of the rear drops rpms at 55-60 mph about 100 rpms. So dropping from the stock 34 to 32 rear drops rpms at 55-60 about 200 rpms.
It does lesson the vibes. You can get more vibe reduction by keeping the bike in good tune. Carb sync is a big factor in vibes. The closer each cylinder runs to the other reduces vibes, get one side pulling harder increases the vibes.
Leo

Yes, with a 16" rear wheel, I think the 32T is ideal. With an 18" rear, I like a 33T better.

I,m a new member, and looking forward to lots of info. I have a 1979 XS 650 SF just got the tank and side covers painted, changed over to Pamco, and new cam gear guides, bike runs well what I want to know what is the best sprockets for short trips and around town, I would like to lower the rpm and ride around 60 mph. Thanks

Hi NW200,
FYI, while my son's Canadian '80 Special ran 17/34 my Canadian '84 Heritage Special came with 17/36.
I reckon that right at the end of production they bolted together whatever parts they still had left in the factory.
Whatever, either 17/32 or 17/33 will be fine for cruising at 60mph.
Getting a real good balance job on the carbs will also work wonders to reduce engine vibration.
BTW, I read your profile. When the time comes, 17/38 makes good sidecar gearing.
And while I have no idea if it's appropriate to your lifestyle, a sidecar is a great chick magnet.

I agree with the previous posts. A 33 or 32 rear will work quite well for you.

I have used 17/33, on my 78 Special, for the last 7 seasons. The engine turns about 3700 rpm at 100 km/hr. Makes for a smooth ride on the highway.

Living in Creston BC, you are right in the middle of some of the best motorcycle riding that can be found anywhere! In 2011, I had a fantastic bike ride through the Kootenays. Highway #6 from Vernon to Needles, to Nakusp, to New Denver, to Balfour and down to Creston, is a favourite road for me.

Next summers bike trip will include that route.

Yes, the "T" simply stands for "teeth" and is a way of labeling sprocket sizes when speaking about them. A 32T means a sprocket with 32 teeth.

Thanks, that's what I thought. But then I saw people using both of the in the same posts so I was hoping I wasn't missing something.

HI, Yes that route is hard to beat ,done it many times and always enjoy it. Thanks for your help, I was thinking about a Kawasaki Concours to be a little more smoother, and then I thought I am 69 today and I think I will stick with old faithful to the end Best of luck.

Hello all,

I’m running an 18” rear stock wheel. I’ve had the 17 front 34 rear is what was on my bike when I bought it. I reduced to a 32 and that made a difference, but 2nd and 4th gear and still totally unnecessary. So, I’m looking to reduce my rear sprocket again to at least 30, maybe even 28T on the rear (keeping 17 on the front). Question is - where can I get a sprocket that small (eBay doesn’t seem to have any), AND how many links in my chain am I going to have to lose?

I have 17, 30. I'm 220lbs. I love it I think these were geared low. At 4k rpm I'm doing about 60mph.
Anyhow ya I have an 80 special 16" mag rear love 17, 30
You can't go much if any smaller cause of the bolt pattern. I think considering hp and everything 30 is fine. I think some had a 29t idk if they had it made but they were lighter than me and they liked it but idk for me and the power of the bike 30 is lowest to go.
So short answer can't get smaller sprocket on or youl be in the bolt pattern.

Last edited:
I had 17/30 on my 77 and hated it, was a dog of the line (I ride mostly in town, very little hwy)
tried 17/33 and Luv it! My bike is super smooth. Have ridden other 650,s and most will shake your
teeth loose! As others have stated if you can get it all set-up good it really makes a big difference.
My bike was purchased with 17/30 by previous owner but when the time comes to change the chain and sprockets
I will try the stock 17/34 as I dont think the extra 100 rpm or so will make much if any difference on my scoot.

Back