SR tank on XS

Yodude13

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever put a SR400/500 tank on there XS. I tried searching around and couldn't find a definitive answer. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate the input.

You'd have to change the mounts either on the tank or the frame. SR tanks have the cups on the tunnel that slot over rubber pucks on the frame, XS650 is the opposite.

I've mounted the knee dent xs750 tank on by following Aldo's (iirc) visual tutorial. It's a snug fit and the seat pan needs to be trimmed about two inches in the front and there's about 4 millimeters of space between the tank and forks on a full turn.yow! A close'n.

I'll add, welcome aboard!

Hi Yodude, welcome to the madhouse. Sounds like you might be breaking new ground with that one? Of course, it's very likely been done by somebody, somewhere.

But you would need to find an SR tank, offer it up to the XS frame, decide whether it suits for size and the look you're after, then modify as required. As Buzzword says, you would need at the very least to change the front tank mounts or the frame. Probably less drastic to modify the tank, then at least the frame will still accept a standard tank . . .

have a look on ebay at the different tanks. The Sr tank has a wide tunnel and a wide end where the XS tank narrows.

XS650 frame

MjE3NzQ4MA-dceec81e.png

XS650 tank
34517.jpg

SR500 frame
MjE5OTk5MQ-4c35004d.png

Tank
BILYdibZBhrtRn0hAPGr6605LXGcE=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu.jpg

Last edited:
Biggest issue is the channel width of the SR/XT/TT tanks it makes it problematic to mounting. Need to check the petcock location to make sure it isn't blocked by the carbs or motor.

Back