Stalling troubleshooting. Charging? Carbs? FUUUUUUUCK

Morgantician

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need help, bad. I just "finished" my first build. It's an '82 Heritage. I started taking it out for short rides and began not getting it to be able to start. I cleaned the carbs thoroughly 3 times, and finally was able to get it to start after putting in new spark plugs.

It ran good for about 20 minutes around the city, but eventually the idle began to slow down at stops, and eventually it would die at idle, everytime. I would be able to get it started again, but would die either right before or right after getting it in gear.

I took it home and checked the voltage on the battery - a little over 7 volts. I put a charger on it and brought it up to just under 12 volts. After a few kicks it started back up and I took it out again. Same deal - about 15 minutes later it slowed at idle and eventually died. At this point I noticed my head light was very dim - almost barely lit. After having the key off for a few minutes I was able to kick it over and start it, but died immediately, if not right after getting it into gear.

....skip ahead to after I pushed it 18 blocks home and checked the voltage again. About 9 volts this time (though this was after having it off for about 40 minutes while pushing it).

Here's a little background: before the chop it ran good. I didn't open the engine up, took the carbs apart to clean (but didn't return them to absolute spec...not that they were spec to begin with anyway), simplified the wiring.

Could this be a symptom of the dreaded xs650 charging unit? Or does it sound more like a carb issue (though I assume I wouldn't be able to get it started if that were the case). I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to bikes, so feel free to make obvious suggestions I may have missed.

Thanks!

Back