Stalls when put into gear

mercanie77

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello! First time poster here in need of some help.

1983 Yamaha XS650

Bike was running fine until this morning when I tried from neutral to put into gear the bike stalls and jerks forward. I tried another posters advice where they said to "Put the front wheel against an immoveable object, your house, a tree, whatever, start the bike and hold it in neutral at about 1500 rpm. Get a handful of front brake and drop it into 1st gear." The bike went into 1st without dying but idled really low.. eventually dying. I tried normally again without giving gas and the bike stalls and jerks forward.

~extra information after the bike stalls pulling in the clutch and trying to roll it is difficult and doesn't roll smoothly.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, Thank you.

Sounds like your clutch needs adjusting, like it's set too loose and dragging. There are two adjusting points for the clutch, the handlebar adjuster and another down on the left side cover .....

FAd5DsY.jpg

Loosen the handlebar adjuster all the way up then set the adjuster down on the case. Finish by resetting the handlebar adjuster to take up any remaining slack. Instructions are in your manual.

@5twins

It worked, thank you so much. Haven't gone for a ride yet but putting into first doesn't stall the bike and it doesn't seem like it will die keeping clutch held in. You're awesome

Welcome to the site. What part of Canada are you from? More Canucks here than what you might expect, eh?

Back