Standard vs Special Headlight Brackets

SEd27

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully swapped out special headlight brackets for standard units and retained the special pilot box and gauge mounts?

The standard brackets look as though they may slightly change the location of the headlight.

Contemplating the swap to convert the special over to standard kit.

Last edited:
You should be fine.
The brackets start out from different places and angle but end up at the same mounting point for the headlight bucket.
Gauges? I'm running a mix. Standard clocks but with the Special light tree showing turn signaling and the neutral light. However I've mounted a voltmeter at the bottom of the tree and relocated the key switch to the right side, forward but under the fuel tank.

Play around with it.....you can always go back.

Pic of my 80SG with 76 Gauges.

P1160114 2.jpg

All Gauges from 76-83 interchange, The bucket and Gauges into the buckets. What changes i the crown and gauge bracket that bolts to the crown. Gauge brackets and crowns all interchange, 76-84), the gauge bracket mounting holes are all the same. The crown and gauge bracket, changes from the standard, 76-79 to the specials, 78-84 to accommodate the separate ignition switch.

Agree with NJ on the Light brackets. Not sure if the 74-76 34mm ones will work on your 35mm forks. Need to look for 77-79 standard ones

Pic of my 80SG with 76 Gauges.
Very Good looking.
SEd27’s green paint would look very nice with green face gauges.
The “XS standard” speedo gauges in mph version seem to all read to 140 mph which is quite unnecessary.
I’ve noticed that other model speedos such as XS400 ? Look like Skulls gauges but read to 120 mph , as does the78/79 “Special” speedos
And the “Special” mid light box is also visually nicer than the chunkier standard light box too

Also consider that the 77-79 “Standard” headlight ears tho were nice when new, they are very difficult to find in good condition and cannot easily be bent back to original shape like the “Special” headlight ears can be ..

I plan on swapping Standard ears onto my Special to gain more room for cable routing. I'd like to swap in an XS850 triple headlight bucket at the same time as well. I think it may have more room inside for wiring.

Back