Standard vs Special vs Special II seats ?

79xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I Have heard that ALL Standard models, and the Special II (up to 1980) all use the same side hinge seat setup. While the seat pans, foam, and covers are different between the Standard and Special II... ARE THE SEATS INTERCHANGEABLE?? (are the Standard seats interchangeable with the 1979-1980 Special II side hinge seats)??

The Special (NOT Special II) seats and ALL post-1980 seats are different and lift off.

I'm not concerned with how they match up with side covers...

I searched a lot and found a ton of conflicting info... so I wanted to set it straight here.

It is my understanding that the Special II basically uses parts leftover from '79 production. So the side-hinge seats should be the same.

You forgot to mention the TX/XS-1 and XS-2 seat, yes they are different again from standards. I just wanted to throw that in to make it even more confusing, Lol

Right, the Special II (1980 and older) seats are definitely side hinge. I know, I own one.

The question is: are the Special II side hinge seats directly interchangable with the side hinge Standard model seats?

I think the spacing between the hinges is different from the special to the standard. Really not sure on the special II I will take a look if I think of it while in the shed, I think I have all of the mentioned seats (some better, most worse) LOL. Not sure I have an early special frame out there.

Well that cleared things up didn't it?

the 78SE/79SF/79Special II seat will fit the standard frame 74-78 The latch pin is longer on the SE/SF/S II, where it clips into the latch on the frame and will go into the Standard frame latch but has some vertical play
The standard seat latch being shorter wont reach the Special frame latch so the seat wont snib at all

Yep what Skull said. I put one( a special seat) on a 79 F just to see.
Didn't like the way it slid me forward and the extra gap.
The configuration for the screw holes are different for the
latch so you can't plug an play it.

Since it seems that everyone has a different idea of what seat fits what, I will finally put this to rest.

See my thread below where Resto posted some great photos showing measurements and locations of the STANDARD seat hinges:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22300

I have a 1979 SPECIAL II. The hinge locations are identical on my SPECIAL II compared to Resto's STANDARD.

I ordered a STANDARD seat from Mike's XS.

The Mike's XS STANDARD seat bolts directly to the hinges on my SPECIAL II frame. NO MODS NECESSARY... but it does not close the whole way or latch. Read below for the super easy fix:

You will need to do some things to get it to latch. The STANDARD seat form Mike's XS comes with hinges and a latch. The hinges and latch are all in the correct locations to work with the standard frame... BUT again, the seat does not close the whole way and the latch tab is too short.

To fix these issues, you will need:
M6 x 20mm bolts (six of these, 2 for each hinge and 2 for the latch)
m6 x 13mm spacer (again, six of these)

Replace the stock bolts securing each hinge and latch to the seat pan with your new 20mm bolt with 13mm spacer over it, so move the hinges and latch 13mm down away from the seat pan.

Now, install the seat. It will fit, hinge, and latch. Plus, it looks sweet. EASY.

I hope this helps everyone, I'll post pics of my STABDARD seat mod and it installed on my SPECIAL II soon.

STANDARD SEATS WILL FIT ON SPECIAL II BIKES. No more controversy, its easy, just get 6 bolts and 6 spacers, no need to mod the bike at all.

the 78SE/79SF/79Special II seat will fit the standard frame 74-78 The latch pin is longer on the SE/SF/S II, where it clips into the latch on the frame and will go into the Standard frame latch but has some vertical play
The standard seat latch being shorter wont reach the Special frame latch so the seat wont snib at all

Yes the information above must have been very confusing

If you have raise the hinges and latch and got the latch to seat, me thinks the rubber stoppers aren't bedding and the seat is not sitting square to the frame

Skull, you provided some good info and inspired me to buy the standard seat and try to make it fit the special. I just wanted to let everyone else know that getting the latch to work isnt too hard.

I think the stoppers are hitting the frame, I'll check to make sure though.

Since I'm raising the hinges and latch the same amount, shouldn't the seat be square to the frame?? It appears to be sitting level, measuring from the top of each side cover to the bottom of the seat.

Since it seems that everyone has a different idea of what seat fits what, I will finally put this to rest.

See my thread below where Resto posted some great photos showing measurements and locations of the STANDARD seat hinges:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22300

I have a 1979 SPECIAL II. The hinge locations are identical on my SPECIAL II compared to Resto's STANDARD.

I ordered a STANDARD seat from Mike's XS.

The Mike's XS STANDARD seat bolts directly to the hinges on my SPECIAL II frame. NO MODS NECESSARY... but it does not close the whole way or latch. Read below for the super easy fix:

You will need to do some things to get it to latch. The STANDARD seat form Mike's XS comes with hinges and a latch. The hinges and latch are all in the correct locations to work with the standard frame... BUT again, the seat does not close the whole way and the latch tab is too short.

To fix these issues, you will need:
M6 x 20mm bolts (six of these, 2 for each hinge and 2 for the latch)
m6 x 13mm spacer (again, six of these)

Replace the stock bolts securing each hinge and latch to the seat pan with your new 20mm bolt with 13mm spacer over it, so move the hinges and latch 13mm down away from the seat pan.

Now, install the seat. It will fit, hinge, and latch. Plus, it looks sweet. EASY.

I hope this helps everyone, I'll post pics of my STABDARD seat mod and it installed on my SPECIAL II soon.

STANDARD SEATS WILL FIT ON SPECIAL II BIKES. No more controversy, its easy, just get 6 bolts and 6 spacers, no need to mod the bike at all.

This is all quite interesting. If I understand this correctly, the 78/79 Special and the Special II seats will fit onto a standard frame..............hinges fit but the latch needs some mods.

The Standard seat will fit onto the Special II frame with some latch and hinge spacers.

This leads me to believe the Standard seat will also fit onto my 78SE Special frame with some latch and hinge spacers. Does that sound right?

I measured my hinges and they are exactly the same dimensions that Resto provided from his Standard model.

79xs..............I would really like to see some pictures of the Standard seat mounted on your Special II. Does your Special II have the smaller gas tank that I have on my Special or does it have the larger tank as on the Standard bikes?

Skull, you provided some good info and inspired me to buy the standard seat and try to make it fit the special. I just wanted to let everyone else know that getting the latch to work isnt too hard.

Since I'm raising the hinges and latch the same amount, shouldn't the seat be square to the frame?? It appears to be sitting level, measuring from the top of each side cover to the bottom of the seat.

i cant compare mine as i have lost the key to my standard seat.

I was guessing on the seat being level.

Can you post a few pictures, so we can see how the Standard seat looks on your Special II?

Yeah, I'll take some pictures of the hinge and latch spacers and take some shots of the seat on the bike. I'll probably have time to take and post the pictures after work today... so check back this evening.

Below is the photo of my Mike's XS STANDARD seat on my 1979 SPECIAL II. Note the longer hinge bolts and 13mm spacers between the hinges and seat pan:
IMG_0946_zpscc53dcc6.jpg

Here is a photo showing that the stock latch on the STANDARD seat does fit and lock into the stock SPECIAL II lock. It has 13mm spacers behind it, just like the hinges. Also note the stock rubber bumpers are touching the frame. As far as I can see all of the stock bumpers touch the frame and the seat fits square and level to the SPECIAL II frame:
IMG_0945_zps4ddf1e0f.jpg

Left side, I think it looks pretty good. The back of the STANDARD seat curves up a bit and nicely follows the stock SPECIAL II grab rail:
IMG_0944_zps85f1edb9.jpg

Right side rear-ish:
IMG_0952_zps1a0524ed.jpg

Right side:
IMG_0950_zps53661241.jpg

Right side front-ish:
IMG_0949_zps227504ae.jpg

Notice the SPECIAL II sidecovers slant down on the top slightly, so they do not follow the same line as the seat. Personally, I dont mind it. The SPECIAL II side covers do not slant as much as the SPECIAL sidecovers.

Below is the photo of my Mike's XS STANDARD seat on my 1979 SPECIAL II. Note the longer hinge bolts and 13mm spacers between the hinges and seat pan:
IMG_0946_zpscc53dcc6.jpg

Here is a photo showing that the stock latch on the STANDARD seat does fit and lock into the stock SPECIAL II lock. It has 13mm spacers behind it, just like the hinges. Also note the stock rubber bumpers are touching the frame. As far as I can see all of the stock bumpers touch the frame and the seat fits square and level to the SPECIAL II frame:
IMG_0945_zps4ddf1e0f.jpg

Left side, I think it looks pretty good. The back of the STANDARD seat curves up a bit and nicely follows the stock SPECIAL II grab rail:
IMG_0944_zps85f1edb9.jpg

Right side rear-ish:
IMG_0952_zps1a0524ed.jpg

Right side:
IMG_0950_zps53661241.jpg

Right side front-ish:
IMG_0949_zps227504ae.jpg

Notice the SPECIAL II sidecovers slant down on the top slightly, so they do not follow the same line as the seat. Personally, I dont mind it. The SPECIAL II side covers do not slant as much as the SPECIAL sidecovers.

Nice job on mounting the seat. The standard seat looks mighty fine on your bike.:thumbsup:

This thread is really about the EASY interchangeability of the standard and special II seats... but in keeping with the theme of making a special II look more like a standard here are some new pics of my 1979 special II with a standard seat and the Mikes XS standard tank badges. (Compare to the pics above of my bike with the ugly gold special II tank badges.) I think the tank badges and the seat really make the look complete:

CIMG0091_zps32b1152c.jpg

CIMG0089_zps493d0975.jpg

Back