start button not working

jservant

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there is multiple threads on this but asking anyway, everything works but the start button, including the kill switch. I can start the bike by using a screwdriver to jump between the two large posts on the solenoid or by kickstarting. Took the button apart and everything looks fine, kill switch works, power to button but button doesnt work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, read the multiple threads. The answer is probably in one or more of them. If you installed painted bars then you have lost the ground to the button. That's all I can think of off hand.

laugh what 5t said. There are two lighter weight wires on the solenoid a blue with white and a red with white the red white should have +12, the blue white goes to the button which grounds it. Disconnect the blue white connector by the solenoid, the solenoid side should show +12 with the ignition on. If you ground that blue white the starter should crank. If it does the problem is in the wiring to or the button.

Thanks for the advice guys, what is the best or easiest way of finding the problem with the ground? Not much experience with electrical. I am pretty sure that is the problem though, Thanks.

jservant;

Use you VOM on the lowest ohm scale. Use a wiring diagram for reference. If looking for a ground, put one lead on the frame or engine bare metal, and then probe different terminals etc where you need to find a ground.

Thanks for the advice guys, what is the best or easiest way of finding the problem with the ground? Not much experience with electrical. I am pretty sure that is the problem though, Thanks.

Just ground the handle bars and see if the starter button works. The starter button gets its ground from the ground that goes to the horn, so see if your horn works.

The handle bars have grounded a couple ways over the years. On the early, up to 75 the bars ground path was through the risers. A wire hooked under one of the riser nuts and ran to one of the upper tree clamp bolts. From there through the tree and head bearings to the frame. From the frame back to the battery.
On the later models, not sure just when, they added a ground wire from the left side switch housing down into the main ground wire in the harness. So the ground path was bars, black wire into harness, to frame to battery.
On either ground path if you swapped the stock bars for painted or powder coated bars you lost the ground path. To fix you need a remove enough of the paint or powder under the switch housings to get a metal to metal connection on the housings and the start button.
Leo

If the horn works then the ground on the right side switch housing is bad or the button itself is bad. Pull the right side switch housing off the handle bars and lokk inside. Check for corrosion and loose wires.
Leo

I lost my starter button too. I noticed it after swapping handlebars. I need to replace the gear so right now the starter button is not a priority. When I replace the gear though, I will do this check. As of now, she's starting on the second kick and there's something pretty kick ass about kick starting the bike.

Back