Starter bendix

jiffy650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was watching a video a few weeks ago, before I started my rebuild, about one of the possibilities on why the Bendix will disengage when trying to start my bike. In the video he shows the c clip, with the little hook tail on it, not fitting into the slot in the case. He squeezed it shut a little more and made sure it would slid in the slot and he said no more starter problems. Took my gears off last night, and sure enough.....it doesn't fit in the slot.

Attachments

• IMG_20160505_201822235.jpg
    IMG_20160505_201822235.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 1,485
It's not supposed to fit in the slot on later models. The clip was upgraded by Yamaha, made from thicker wire, and that new clip won't fit in the original cast slot.

StarterClipPositions.jpg

The new heavier clip was implemented to try and fix the grinding starter problem. It did help when new but it gets weak over time and the starter begins to grind again. The "fix" is to remove the clip and squeeze it tight again. Details are here .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

The change 5twins is referring to happened on the 76 xs650C models. The change also talks about replacing the return spring and sliding gear.
It's in a service bulletin in my Yamaha repair manual covering 70-74 models.
Leo

The cut off point was 76. I don't think Mike's fits in the slot. Just leave it beside the slot. It works fine there.
As the gears turn they push the spring against the side of the slot, not away from it.
Leo

Back