starter gear problem but not the usual starter gear problem

xsfreak

xs650 noob
Reaction score
Hi guys
I just put my cases back together and i noticed that the 20/21 double gear isn't engaging the 12 gear. When i was in there all touched was the 11 gear to be able to remove the bendix assembly. The question is does the 11 gear only go in one way or will it work either way ? Could I have possibly put it in backwards causing this problem ?
full

Did you pull anything out on the right side. Gear 12 can be off shaft and laying in bottom. Can you see that gear. I do have parts if you need them

Did you pull anything out on the right side. Gear 12 can be off shaft and laying in bottom. Can you see that gear. I do have parts if you need them

Yes gear 12 is on the shaft but if the 20/21 gear slides on the shaft towards the cover of the compartment it can spin freely not touching gear 12

Are you missing spacer #16 and the tension wave washer #15? They are needed to hold the 20-21 gear set in far enough.

This is how it looks out side motor . You do need spacer and spring or it wont ingage

Attachments

• starter gears.jpg
    starter gears.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 125
Thanks alot daddyg also 5twins you guys are pretty quick to figure out a problem with not alot of info !
apparently 5twins is correct I am missing #15 and #16. Somehow I lost them and can't locate them so daddyg if your offer stands please let me know how much ya want. Thanks again for both of your help!

I do have 16 the spacer but not the crush washer. You can buy them at LOWES or Hardware store.....
PM me your address and I will send it to you

It's sorta special. It's a spring washer and rather thick compared to a normal wave washer. With so many going kick only, I'm sure you can get one pretty easily. They take all these parts out.

Back