Starter Motor Oil Seal orientation please

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there . just about to fit my starter motor to the casing and cannot find which way round the outer oil seal goes ? (between the starter body and the engine casing
Haynes manual completely omits the starter motor from the engine assembly sequence because it was basically written for the early xs and that part wasn't updated in later publications .

Attachments

• xs650 starter motor oil seal.JPG
    xs650 starter motor oil seal.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 651
I think you've got it correct there. The seal has an extra "flap" on the outside. That should face out of the engine, towards the starter motor. Easiest way to install it is to place it on the starter like your pic shows, then use the starter to push it into place. Put some Yamabond around the O.D. to ease (lube) fitting and help seal it into the case.

brilliant thanks 5twins:thumbsup: appreciate the tip about using a bit of yamabond on the case to seal junction
i wouldn't want it to leak once fitted to the frame ,it would be a right pain to fix:(

Is it recommended to chamfer case before pushing in seal? I just demolished a seal while trying to push it in with starter. Thought maybe my mistake might save peanut this headache.

Is it recommended to chamfer case before pushing in seal? I just demolished a seal while trying to push it in with starter. Thought maybe my mistake might save peanut this headache.

Thanks jay thats an excellent idea. I saw carbon recommend that when he changed his clutch pushrod seal a while back.

I managed to press the starter shaft seal in by using the internal washer and a socket in a vice went in easy .

I've never had a bike with a leccy start before and it sounds quite neat so i thought I would give it a try but I was staggered at the weight of the thing :yikes:
I might decide to remove it and blank the hole if I can find a link to the blanking assembly

thanks Brian
I've got this link from another source but haven't found time to really go through it yet. Wish there were more hours in a day ....:wink2:

Back