starter not disengaging, did before

I'm not sure messing with that coil spring does anything at all. It's not a very strong spring to begin with. There is a right and wrong way to install the wishbone clip on the gear. Don't force it onto the gear from the side, that spreads the end open too much and can open the clip up, making it too weak. Install it over the top of the gear, snapping one side into place then prying the other open just enough to snap it in.

I'm measuring across the tooth.

5twins without the coil spring will the gear "ride out" further?
Engaging more of the tooth area?

Attachments

• #4 starter gear.jpg
    #4 starter gear.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 97
I think that's the idea behind leaving it out. It's a PamcoPete mod. But as I said, I swear I can hear something rattling in there now when parked on the sidestand at idle. I'll be putting it back in eventually.

OKej, not a low power issue... Put back the battery, pushed the button, it grinded. Pushed the button again, it engaged perfectly and fired up immediately. Turned it off, pushed the button, it grinded. Pushed the button again, it engaged perfectly and fired up...

So, I will tighten the wishbone clip and see if the engagement statistics improves...

If it doesn't help, what can it be then? The gear seems be running smooth on the sleeve. It seemed to engage perfectly before stretching out the return spring some. Or just good luck... Now it engages almost every second time... Would a new clip really do it... And maybe a new return spring... And maybe a new gear... A whole kit...

Seems like a very delicate function...

Will also measure the teeths. But since it engaged perfectly almost everytime, can the gear really be weared out then?

Well, I'm getting there... soon, I hope...

Could tightning the wishbone shaped spring clip to much cause the gear to not engage or disenagage properly?

I've understood that it's okej to test the starter having the RH cover off. Is it okej to do even with the clutch assembly off? Or must it be put on?

Cheers

Wishbone shaped clip now tightened. Just had time to do a few test starts last night, but it seems to work. It engaged perfactly all times. :) But now it grinds a 1-2 sec before disengaging completely. So I'm back to square one... :( I assume I may have tightened the clip a bit to much.

Can it be that the wishbone shaped clip has to be within min and max strength to work properly, that is, to engage without any grinding and disengage without any grinding? :confused:

have you tried tighten the wishbone shaped clip? If not, it will probably help. Regarding the grinding after starting, it seems that the starter gear doesn't disengage. Check the return spring. When I first put it back and started the bike, it wrapped itself around the gear, so the gear was stuck engaged. I put it back more carefully the next time, and it worked. Now it disengage, though with a delay of 1 sec. After reading other post on the subject, it may have to do with the starter relay, which doesn't stop the starter fast enough, which cause it not to be thrown out/diengage.

Good luck

yeah i have done both spring "fixes" and it will ot work right.
the last time (last night) that i put it back together it seems to work like every other time or every third time. i am done with it for now. got to many other things to work on on this bike. it starts first kick so screw that starter! i may order the kit because it comes with the new gear and my gear is chewed up a little.

Back