Starter problems.

IdahoPilot

XS650 Cafe builder
Reaction score
So, few problems. Electric starter was making terrible noises. Kind of a thunking, growl after cranking a couple seconds. So, took off right side cover and 4th gear. Squeezed wishbone spring to tighten it a little. Put it all back together and started, now the starter still makes noise, but it is more of a growl, not so much thunking in there. And the kick starter is stuck. Can't push it at all. SO... What have I done wrong? I can not find anything else about the starter that I have not done. :banghead:

When you pulled the cover you pulled the kickstarter out. You need to reinstall it correctly to get it to work. Page 80 in the Clymer book tells how to install the kickstart.
On the electric starter you can check it's operation with out it being all together. When you get the spring tighter and back in you can test it right then with out the clutch or cover on.
The way the starter works is as the starter spins it spins a shaft that spins the #4 gear set. As the gear set turns the wishbone spring holds it from turning before it slides along the splines to fully engage the gear on the crank.
Perhaps you didn't tighten the spring enough. It should take 5 lbs to turn the spring around the gear set. To test this tie a string to the spring. tie the other end of the string to a galln jug with 5 pints of water in it. Now with the loop part of the spring pointing a bit up try to lift the jug of water if you can't with out the spring turning the spring isn't tight enough.
Also there is a coil spring on the back side of the gear set. this is a return spring, stretch it out a bit longer. It keeps the gear set away from the crank gear when the engine is running.
Leo

hi,,,, pull the right side off again,,,,, while you are at it remove 4th gear are clamp the tail of the wish bone spring in the vice and squeeze it until they are together ,,then slightly lever the spring back on ,,, ,,,,also if you have an oil stone ,,,,,just slightly stone the bad edges of the teeth on the 4 th gear ,, it does help ,,, then re-do the kickstarter ,, ,,, i know you may have read the info ,but briefly read it ,,, and instal mine works like a charm ,, its a treat tooooooo enjoy riding it regards oldbiker

Back