Starter Quit

SC Kurt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My starter would occasionally not engage every fourth to fifth time. Today not at all. It tries at first then makes that terrible semi-grinding noise. Can anyone help me as to what I need. I have heard the bendix may be bad. Is that within the starter or something separate? Sorry, not that savy on electrical stuff. If I need a new starter where is the best source?
Thanks for your assistance.
SC Kurt

Kurt:
I'll bet that 75% or more of all XS650s have had, or will need, this repair and those who have done it would agree that, while the starter gear wishbone / hairclip repair may look daunting - it really isn't a big deal - assuming you have the tools and read the thread carefully.

I've done one of my two bikes and could likely repeat the task now in an hour or so without spilling a drop of oil (the key is to lay the bike gently down on its left side). To do this, I prop the bike up using a jackstand covered with a towel - carefully positioned under the left hand exhaust pipe. Doing it this way positions the RH engine case at just about the right height for convenient no-back-ache work and you don't have to drain the engine oil.

Pete

Last edited:
Hello 5Twins & MaxPete,
Thank for your replies in solving my dilemma. Especially thanks to MaxPete in encouraging that it's not that tough - if I follow the thread. I do some light mechanical work, oils changes, brakes and such. But, when it comes to taking off engine covers I would call on my brother. Problem is he is in Louisville and I am in SC so I believe I'll tackle it this Sunday afternoon! Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
SCKurt

Back