Starter Seal Replacement

Tim Meaders

Not just another Old man on a Harley!
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone removed their starter without removing the engine from the frame? I need to replace the oil seal but
I can't find a tool to access the top 2 bolts holding the starter.

Thanks.

Yes. I have replaced the starter without taking the engine out or removing anything else. I don’t believe it takes anything less ordinary than a combination wrench. There’s only one bolt that will make you learn new words.

Yup it can be done with the engine still bolted in the frame. You can get to all but one bolt with normal sockets and hand wrenches. But the one nearest the frame can be removed with an offset box end wrench. You can buy a set from Harbor freight or Amazon or eBay or…..

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

29713E93-AA4A-4451-BC91-7CB059452038.jpeg
85D8E866-DD37-47CC-93AE-F7F9C152048E.jpeg

Thanks guys. Look's like I need to go to Harbor Freight to finish this job.

Tim M.

One more thing those offset wrenches are perfect for…..working on your clutch adjustment. They fit in the side cover opening perfectly! No more rounding off the edges of the retaining nut with an open end wrench! :D
43816363-D09E-4ABB-8747-C6FCB6BF60E7.jpeg

Not a bad idea to have a really cheap set of wrenches (or two) around to bend to fit tight access, make a stub wrench, grind back an end for thin nut access, replace a missing tool kit wrench, add to a vehicle or shop tool kit, where a bolt gets used frequently etc.
True that. I need to make a thin 27mm to hold the lock nut on the timing chain tensioner. So far I havent had the heart to grind down a “good” wrench.

The hot wire to the starter from the battery .. the nut can be an issue to remove.... it spins off... but there's a clearance issue with the frame I recall. Think last time... I left the cable on.. once starter was loose I removed the nut.. and remembered to install the cable and nut loosely until the starter was fully installed. :cool:

Back