Starter Switch Housing

ramblin5

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
starterbutton.jpg
switchhousing.jpg
Non-mechanical, but not stupid person here. Just ignorant. The previous owner of my '81 SH added an external starter button that is really ugly. See attached. The RH switch housing is in place and the off/run switch operates correctly. I have purchased a starter button and want to use it in the switch housing as stock. When I open the switch housing there is only one blue wire visible. See attached. Is there supposed to be another one? It appears that there are some components missing based on other pics I have seen (but they were for the one that has the light switch as well.). Am I missing some components?

A single blue wire with white tracer goes to the start switch. When you press the button you complete a circuit to ground. So, you have to make sure that the housing makes good contact with the handlebar and that both are grounded.
I don't think you are missing any components from what I can see.

Thanks. So, does that blue/white wire go back to the solenoid? If so, I guess when the po ran the external starter setup he would have disconnected that blue/white wire?

Yes, goes directly to a blue/white wire on solenoid. You're probably right about what the PO did, but you'll have to see for yourself.

Yes, goes directly to a blue/white wire on solenoid. You're probably right about what the PO did, but you'll have to see for yourself.
So I spent this morning learning! I know this is nothing for you mechanics but it is a scary adventure for someone like me. Managed to install the starter button but of course it wouldn't start the bike. I figured the prev owner had disconnected the blue/white wire somewhere since it was still soldered at the switch bracket. Found where he had cut it inside the headlight bucket and spliced in his own starter switch wire. Now if I can just splice the blue back into the blue I should be back to stock. Just not much wire to work with to do the splicing. Unfortunately, where it is short is where it comes into headlight bucket from the handlebar. Wish me luck.

WE HAVE LIFTOFF! Ugly external starter button is now gone and stock starter button is working! Thanks to the last 9 years of posts on the subject it is beginning to make sense to me now.

Back