starter wire location?

brilamb2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
curious as to where the starter wire enters the case, my bike has been converted to kick only, and by the way everything else "custom" on this thing, they just cut the wire and left the starter. anybody with a pic of where the power wire to the starter enters, PLEASE send it or post it, ive searched, but can only find diagrams. thanks in advance.

It doesn't enter the case. It runs down under the motor and bolts to the starter.

ok thanks to your guys pics, i was able to find the starter loc, ......lol i kinda feel stupid now, and it does work was just unhooked. Only thing is it hangs up after the engine starts for a cpl seconds. could the bendix just be dry/dirty? any more input is appreciated

There are some springs on the gearset behind the clutch. In the Clymer book page 86 shows a breakdown of the starter reduction gears. The springs are #2 and #3.
The wish bone shaped spring #3 is for engaging the gears. The other #2 is return spring that helps disengage the gears.
Over the years they both get weak. You can replace those springs or tighten them.
The wish bone spring you take it off and squeeze the narrow end together to tighten it. On the return spring you remove it and stretch it longer to tighten.
Leo

Back