Starting issues with pamco & e-advance

jmason

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need help!,
I installed both e advancer and pamco ignition. Here is the issue? No spark.

1. checked battery with load meter and is good.
2. Meter on battery reads 13.45
3. Unit is switched and fused. Both continuity meter fine
4. Voltage between red and green connection between sensor and e advance read 13.45 volts
5. Voltage at coil between red and green wires, zero
6. Voltage from red to ground at coil 13 volts
7. Voltage from green to ground at coil 13 volts
Fuel reaches cylinders
Thoughts?
Jim

I'm confused a little by your post, you say "here is the issue"? Then say no spark.

If you're sure it's hooked up right...we both know where the spark comes from. Are you're grounds solid?

Figure8,
Thanks for the question.
To be a little clearer, I did get the engine to start out of the frame a few weeks ago. not sure if my wiring then bypassed the e-advancer to gt the spark. Idle was a little rough so I thought the timing might be off a little but i'd wait til the engine was mounted. After the install the above developed. I checked the grounds at all points with my meter and appear all good.

Jim

Last edited:
Need help!,
I installed both e advancer and pamco ignition. No spark.

1. checked battery with load meter and is good.
2. Metered battery reads 13.45
3. Unit is switched and fused.
4. Voltage between red and green connection between sensor and e advance read 13.45 volts
5. Voltage at coil between red and green wires, zero
6. Voltage from red to ground at coil 13 volts
7. Voltage from green to ground at coil 13 volts
8. rechecked grounds from motor to frame and mounting brackets to be sure paint was not an issue. all is good.
9. used all trouble shooting suggestions from guide and still no spark.
10. ordered another E-Advancer from Mikes xs
11. Decided to open E-Advancer and didn't see anything burned. however I DID Notice the red wire on the sensor side was going to the outside solder point. The one marked Red was empty. Is this an assembly Mistake? On the Coil side solder points and wires are correct.[/COLOR]
Thoughts?
Jim :confused:

Last edited:
jmason,

That is not a mistake. Originally the red wire to the sensor was powered from the 5 Volt regulator in the E-Advancer, but that was changed to power the sensor from the +12. All PAMCO products are tested prior to shipping.

However, your comment from above that "not sure if my wiring then bypassed the e-advancer to get the spark." raises a problem because the sensor is not capable of driving the coil and that is spelled out in the instructions, so if you did wire the sensor to bypass the E-Advancer you would have fried the sensor and voided the warranty.

jmason,

That is not a mistake. Originally the red wire to the sensor was powered from the 5 Volt regulator in the E-Advancer, but that was changed to power the sensor from the +12. All PAMCO products are tested prior to shipping.

However, your comment from above that "not sure if my wiring then bypassed the e-advancer to get the spark." raises a problem because the sensor is not capable of driving the coil and that is spelled out in the instructions, so if you did wire the sensor to bypass the E-Advancer you would have fried the sensor and voided the warranty.
Pete,
If I did, it wasn't intentional when I had motor out of the frame. However just in case as mentioned above I ordered another E-Advancer from Mikes xs but sounds like I should have ordered the sensor instead. is there a way to test the sensor?
What is your recommendation for fuse rating as I'm running it through a Centech AP-1 fuse block
Jim

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack Jim...Pete, is it possible he had the e-advancer to close to the coil and or engine? I know it's recommend to be done that way, just not sure why? Quick breakdown on what happens when not done that way? Just grabbing at straws here....and curious.

Sorry to hijack Jim...Pete, is it possible he had the e-advancer to close to the coil and or engine? I know it's recommend to be done that way, just not sure why? Quick breakdown on what happens when not done that way? Just grabbing at straws here....and curious.

Mounting the E-Advancer close to the coil may subject the MCU to the EMF from the coils, electrical interference in other words. That would cause the MCU to possibly act erratically, but it would not damage it and it would then work normally when moved away from the coil.

Mounting the E-Advancer too close to the engine would have a similar effect, but this time the problem would be the heat from the engine causing the operating temperature to exceed the spec for the MCU, but, again, the E-Advancer would return to normal operation when moved away from the heat of the engine. The temperature problem is less likely that the EMF problem because the MCU max operating temperature is 85C or about 185F.

Pete and figure8, on the bike I mounted the e-Advancer on a platform behind the engine and under the seat.
Pete, is there a test to be sure the sensor is good!

I received my new E Advancer yesterday and installed today. Got the spark I was hoping for! Guess I burned out my otherE Advancer:( learning everyday. :)

Jim:banghead:

Back