Starting my rebuild

Okie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been collecting parts for some time now. Sold off all my XS stuff a couple of years and regretted it. I now have a visually challenged '74 TX650 that runs. A '79 motor and frame, and another '81 motor.

The '74 TX, love that seat....

DSCF2302.jpg

DSCF2301.jpg

'79 frame
DSCF2307.jpg

The '79 motor however was locked up tight, so I removed the head and this is what I found.....
Left side
DSCF2290.jpg
right side
DSCF2291.jpg
All is soaking now in PB blaster
DSCF2295.jpg
The trans turns freely however, so if I can get those pistons out I should be ok I think. This motor sat outside for a while. Criminal.
I may just concentrate on getting the TX running well for now, so I can get some riding time in this season. But that king/Queen seat has got to go. The carbs are leaking, but it runs fairly well. I have a cafe/tracker style bike in mind, and want to get those cases apart on the '79 motor. I've got a crank ready to go..
DSCF2300.jpg
still have some work to do on the frame and swing arm...
DSCF2298.jpg

I plan on running a #1 Shell cam, rephased w/JE pistons, and bought some of those cool progressive spring Redwing shocks like Pregrid's. They are nice. I have been following his build religiously. Super nice bike. I've already got my 35mm forks done, thanks to Punkskalar, he turned and polished my lowers. They have progressive springs and damper valves from Mikes XS, dual disc XS performance rotors and rebuilt stock calipers for now. I'll have some pics soon. I'm waiting on getting the calipers to the powder coater maybe next week, then put the front end all together. Getting the $$$ together to do all this is the hard part. Going to have to sell a few things to get this thing together. I would like to thank everyone on here, for all the advice and inspiration I get every day when I log on to the forum. It keeps me motivated. More to follow.

Attachments

• DSCF2304.jpg
    DSCF2304.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I've also got this frame I picked up last year. Looks like a Champion, Chrome Moly, but has no swingarm or motor mounts, like it was never finished, but the price was right. A Triumph or BSA would fit nice. With the XS650, the engine just barely fits in the frame, a little tight at the top. I don't know if it would be worth trying to raise the top backbone somehow to get a little more room. This thing only weighs about 17 lbs. Would make for a very light bike without all the electric start parts.
DSCF2308.jpg
Right now I'm concentrating my money on the motor. Once that's done I'll decide on the frame.

Back