Stashes

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was just reminiscing.....
Back before I bailed from South Jersey in the early 90's, there was an old hippie that I had done some cable work for that lived around Petersburg. Nice enough guy but kind of eccentric. He still kept his hair long, though he was balding. It would remind one of a negative comb over of sorts. Now, also in my travels there was a tract of Pine Barrens ground up in Egg Harbor Township that I had passed by a couple of times. I'm not sure how much property was there but from the road it was filled with old British cars. Jags, M.G.'s, Triumphs....you name it.

Turns out that it was this old hippies mothers' ground and he had been collecting and storing since the late 60's. I heard that he sold them to some European interests and they were all container shipped back across the pond. Rumor was that he became a millionaire.

I should have kept all those Studebaker Hawks that I was so fond of........

Last edited:
I’d love to have an MGB or a TR6 or even a Spitfire. I tried to sell my wife on the idea once but she thought ( probably correctly ) that it would be a money pit. :laugh2:
you should go for it . I had MGBs back in the 70's and 80's and they were fun back them but I think I'm too into my creature comforts these days.

The car I always wanted back then was the Triumph TR4A just loved the sexy bonnet curves and overdrive on 3x gears....! Lovely straight six engine ...they cost $30k upwards over here now and you never ever see one on the road

....was the Triumph TR4A
Had a TR-4A when I was on your side of the pond back in the 70's. British racing green... what I wouldn't give to have that one back.

There's a TR6 up the road sitting on 4 flat tires. I figure I could buy a new Miata for what it would cost to get that Trumpet back on the road. And no Lucas electrics...
...and a better handling sportscar.
...and a more reliable sportscar.
And the chicks will like it more.
upload_2017-11-22_18-1-29.jpeg

I’d love to have an MGB or a TR6 or even a Spitfire. I tried to sell my wife on the idea once but she thought ( probably correctly ) that it would be a money pit. :laugh2:
Bob,
I've got the solution: just go buy the car you want. Deal with the repercussions later. Buy her a fur coat. Tell her that everyone at this website advised you to buy it.

Bob,
I've got the solution: just go buy the car you want. Deal with the repercussions later. Buy her a fur coat. Tell her that everyone at this website advised you to buy it.

Lol, yeah , I could do that and later.....you got a spare bedroom I could stay in?
There's three nice TR6's for sale in the Phoenix area. $18,500 for the nicest one.

Lol, yeah , I could do that and later.....you got a spare bedroom I could stay in?
There's three nice TR6's for sale in the Phoenix area. $18,500 for the nicest one.
I'm thinking she might view your decision to buy that car you want as a strong move, and that the excitement of the new sportscar will actually spice up the bedroom action. :) But don't tell her I said that.

I'm a recovering anglophile
even through the rosy lens of the decades that have passed, I still see the pain hiding behind the romance, E types, living in Wisconsin is a sure cure for old car collecting.

Here in the dry hot desert, there are a remarkable amount of well preserved old cars.
All the rubber and vinyl dry rots, but rust is rarely an issue. I worked for years in the retirement community of Sun City West.
They have a car club there with a full on garage with lifts and all the good stuff. That car club is huge, they have weekly meets and you would think Barret Jackson is in town.

Yeah, and if I'd crated and stored all those 1930s motorcycles that were all I could afford on an apprentice's paycheck back in the 1950s
instead of selling them off for a pittance they'd fetch a fortune.
Like all of you, what I really need is a telephone hooked up to a time machine.