Stashes

I tried to sell my wife on the idea once

Well, no wonder she won’t let you buy one Mailman!!!

Attempting to vend one’s spouse to raise funds for a motor vehicle purchase....good grief. ;)

All seriousness aside though, my next door neighbour restored a 1970 MGB from a rust bucket mess and it was beautiful. After he finished it and had it running really well, I asked him if he ever drove it to work over in Detroit and his reply was:

Hell no!! I have to get to work on time - every single day!!”

For that reason, I have bought two Miata (not simultaneously): a 1994 and an ‘06. Both are great cars - I sold the ‘94 to a friend and it now has 325,000 trouble-free km (more than 200,000 miles) on it and the 2006 is my daily (summer) driver with 145,000 km and no grief at all.

Pete

Bob, didn't I tell ya that Pete would recommend a Miata, too ? :D
And I agree, don't sell your wife, in any way, shape or form.
You'll need her as counter-ballast in the weight distribution of the car for optimum handling characteristics.

upload_2017-11-23_8-21-44.jpeg

Hi Jim,
if I ever do you would have gotten the phone call years ago, right?
Yeah.... in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation... would we? Kinda boggles the mind....

The OP's stash reminded me of something...
When I was a lad there was an old boy who lived on a farm up the road. He wasn't a farmer, he'd been a builder most of his life and earned good money during his working years. He'd bought the farm quite early on, and from the 1950s onwards had bought big old cars to run around in. Each car would be used for a few months then parked up around the back or in a shed.
Things like Lanchesters, Jags, Armstrong-Siddleys, Daimlers, etc, etc. In fact, the Jags were so common, I just lost count of them.
One shed was full of just about every British and European motorcycle ever made.
When I met him later on he invited me to have a look around his barns, which were full of these old mouldering heaps. At that time, they weren't worth much, except as scrap, as the real classic car and bike boom hadn't taken off, and they were interesting to me more as motoring history than any great love of classic cars or bikes.

Relatedly...

During the two Oil Shocks of the 70s, big old cars were going rapidly out of fashion as everybody started buying Minis and other shopping trolley-like cars that sipped fuel. The value of the gas guzzlers plummetted faster than a whore's knickers on pay day at the docks, as it seemed the end of the era of cheap petrol had finally arrived, as had been warned about.
I was in the motor trade at the time of the two Crises, and in the first one I could have taken my pick of several E-Type Jags. They were going for between £250 and £400. At the time it wasn't tiddlywink money, but was a fraction of what they'd been worth a year or two earlier.
During the second Oil Crisis I was offered a Jensen Interceptor for £400. Yeah, it needed a slushbox rebuild, but I could have done that.
The only reason I didn't take advantage of the deals available was that I was sure, like everyone else, that big old gas-guzzlers were done for and they'd be nothing but a money pit and millstone around my neck. Apart from that, I'd nowhere to keep them, living in flats (apartments) with no real parking space available.
Fast forward twenty years.
I was living in the countryside in Ireland, with all the space I could ever want to store some of the lost bargains of my youth. All the cars that later became classic motors, but at the time were just cheap old big bangers, could have been homed here, if I'd been able to keep them.

That time machine/phone is a good idea. I wonder if Vodafone will ever launch one.

The OP's stash reminded me of something...
When I was a lad there was an old boy who lived on a farm up the road. He wasn't a farmer, he'd been a builder most of his life and earned good money during his working years. He'd bought the farm quite early on, and from the 1950s onwards had bought big old cars to run around in. Each car would be used for a few months then parked up around the back or in a shed.
Things like Lanchesters, Jags, Armstrong-Siddleys, Daimlers, etc, etc. In fact, the Jags were so common, I just lost count of them.
One shed was full of just about every British and European motorcycle ever made.
When I met him later on he invited me to have a look around his barns, which were full of these old mouldering heaps. At that time, they weren't worth much, except as scrap, as the real classic car and bike boom hadn't taken off, and they were interesting to me more as motoring history than any great love of classic cars or bikes.

Relatedly...

During the two Oil Shocks of the 70s, big old cars were going rapidly out of fashion as everybody started buying Minis and other shopping trolley-like cars that sipped fuel. The value of the gas guzzlers plummetted faster than a whore's knickers on pay day at the docks, as it seemed the end of the era of cheap petrol had finally arrived, as had been warned about.
I was in the motor trade at the time of the two Crises, and in the first one I could have taken my pick of several E-Type Jags. They were going for between £250 and £400. At the time it wasn't tiddlywink money, but was a fraction of what they'd been worth a year or two earlier.
During the second Oil Crisis I was offered a Jensen Interceptor for £400. Yeah, it needed a slushbox rebuild, but I could have done that.
The only reason I didn't take advantage of the deals available was that I was sure, like everyone else, that big old gas-guzzlers were done for and they'd be nothing but a money pit and millstone around my neck. Apart from that, I'd nowhere to keep them, living in flats (apartments) with no real parking space available.
Fast forward twenty years.
I was living in the countryside in Ireland, with all the space I could ever want to store some of the lost bargains of my youth. All the cars that later became classic motors, but at the time were just cheap old big bangers, could have been homed here, if I'd been able to keep them.

That time machine/phone is a good idea. I wonder if Vodafone will ever launch one.
Grimly,
I enjoyed your telling of your true motoring stories.
They left me with a yearning for a steak and kidney pie, with a pint of Guinness.
....and an E-type.
Ta1u5GD9y0KK4baHLOwqKdhx8VH2L2p-tYCvfnMxAUiTZtnbSk.jpg

Made me think of "The Avengers" series and thirsty for a Guinness.....or 2....

..... had a Midget..... PO lower it, removed all the emission junk... add'd proper Brit carbs... fun fun fun....NOT a car for the interstate.... truckers didn't see it... great Sunday back road wave at the Amish get some ice cream car.
But... we had to sell it.... simply because get in was .. ok.... get'n out was a adventure.

..... had a Midget..... PO lower it, removed all the emission junk... add'd proper Brit carbs... fun fun fun....NOT a car for the interstate.... truckers didn't see it...

and this from a guy that rides a cushman!
great Sunday back road wave at the Amish get some ice cream car.
But... we had to sell it.... simply because get in was .. ok.... get'n out was a adventure.

Sorry Mike but having met you a time or two, it's bringing up a funny mental image!

.. I had the procedure in and out ok.. but the wife.... hummm.. I'd get the " look " and knew the little car had to go... :(