Steering Head Bearing Kit

- a bit of threaded bar, some large washers and the old bottom races

PA220019.jpg

Tapered bearings are an improvement, a step in the right direction, but not enough alone to prevent a "tank slapper". In my opinion - to further reduce the likelihood of front end oscillation I would also used bronze swingarm bushings (or needle bearing conversion) and strengthened swingarm, balanced fresh tires and really... strengthened frame

later xs's are much less exciting in this regard. I've yet to get mine to destabilize, and i occasionally do really stupid things. The rake/stance/frame harmonics were changed in the later models.

I use the old races as a spacer/protector and tap evenly around with a big socket and hammer. I will also take a threaded rod, washers and nuts with a big 1/2" socket on each end to draw both races into the frame. I am currently searching the best price for a couple of sets of tapered rollers, flea bay is $40 shipped, Mikes is $39 I have plenty of parts to buy so I will make freight at Mikes.

Tapered bearings are an improvement, a step in the right direction, but not enough

alone to prevent a "tank slapper". In my opinion - to further reduce the likelihood of front end oscillation I would also used bronze swingarm bushings (or needle bearing conversion) and strengthened swingarm, balanced fresh tires and really... strengthened frame
Could use some further info on swing arm bushings. The original installation of a plastic bushing the a bronze bush in the swing arm seems to be a little chintzy

Zombies roam the earth.

Replacing the loose bearings in the neck is highly recommended by me and most 650 owners. My recommendation is the All Balls set.

Replacing the swingarm bushings in my mind is a less critical need. The stock bushings hold up reasonably well with the proper maintenance. I would only go to the trouble of replacing them if they show obvious signs of wear or the swingerarm is removed for another reason.

Your option here are bronze bushings or needle bearings.

I prefer the bronze bushings but there are people here who have installed the needle bearings that like them.

There are good threads covering all three options on the forum.

Last edited:
I've found most of the swing arm bushings I've checked needed replacement.
The factory composite bushings were decent enough if anyone ever bothered to grease them. They are a composite or matrix with metal bits embedded in the plastic sleeve.
If the bronze bushings are a good fit (not a given) and kept lubed they work great good. The needle bearing kits, I've installed one or two, are prolly not the best choice, that's cuz the available space that defines pin bearing diameter and limited rotation of the swing arm makes brinelling likely.
https://www.rexnord.com/blog/articles/what-is-brinelling
Brinelling on BMW swing arm needle bearings is where I got the education. Though this is also what plagues ball race steering bearings.

Yep all balls has been recommended at about 50$ Going to inspect those plastic bushing got the out had to cut in 4. Partzilla had new ones but not sure of quality. And Gary I have experienced a speed wobble back in 75 on a xs1b I survived the bike didn’t no match for a 18 wheeler. I have used up lots a lives

Yep all balls has been recommended at about 50$ Going to inspect those plastic bushing got the out had to cut in 4. Partzilla had new ones but not sure of quality. And Gary I have experienced a speed wobble back in 75 on a xs1b I survived the bike didn’t no match for a 18 wheeler. I have used up lots a lives
You been reading my old posts? It's TOO strange. I Also nearly was killed by a speed wobble while passing a truck in March of 75 on an XS1B! I was in Missouri at the time.
Pic of the death machine taken in 75!
71xs.jpg

Wobble probably aided by a bunch of crap lashed to the back rack cuz we were going from Wisconsin to Florida for spring break.
Edit funny this IS a zombie thread and I told the wobble tale here back in 2010.

Last edited:
A wobble can be caused by a few other things. So replace those front end bearings and also replace those swingarm bushings with the bronze ones. Make sure the swing arm has very small amount of play and rotates smoothly.

Back