steering lock on 1976

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,, i got a 1976 xs650 yamaha xs650 ... its got a steering lock on the left ,,, i,ve never used it ,,,the other day ,i cleaned the outer cover,,, ,,i did notice the key is different to and smaller to the ign.. key.. where would i find a new key to lock it up ... regards old biker,

If there is a number on the lock you can use that at a lock smith and he can make a key.
No number, take the bike to the lock smitch.
Me, I just bought a three pack of big padlocks all keyed the same. Use one on the front rotor, the other on the rear sprocket. Wrap a 10 foot length of log chain around a telephone pole or something simular then through the frame on the bike. Lock it with the third lock.
Works for me.
Leo

hi guys,,, i got a 1976 xs650 yamaha xs650 ... its got a steering lock on the left ,,, i,ve never used it ,,,the other day ,i cleaned the outer cover,,, ,,i did notice the key is different to and smaller to the ign.. key.. where would i find a new key to lock it up ... regards old biker,

Interesting.......this '77 that I just got has three keys that came with it, ignition/seat/helmet/tank key along with 2 oddball shaped keys that I have no idea what they'd be used for. I'm gonnna try out the steering lock.

Maybe earlier models were different but my '78 uses one key for all. I would suspect a '77 should too.

My 75 did till I lost the only key I had. A new switch and pulled the tumblers apart and no key needed for seat or gas cap. Use padlocks instead of fork lock.
Leo

Back