Step by Step complete engine rebuild book

xsfan1986

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am curious to know if there is such a thing available right now. Outside of the Haynes or Clymer manuals, does anyone know of a step by step guide for a total xs newb that has at least decent quality pictures of the steps? I would love to completely take down and rebuild an engine but am not sure that the above mentioned manuals have all that I am looking for. Say for example that I was able to get ahold of a seized engine for $30.00, I want it to look and run like new. Any help would be appreciated.

Bret

I think both of those manuals have what you're looking for. Combined with the manuals you can find on the internet (search this site for 'manuals') and you'll be set.

I hope you're looking to rebuild an engine for the learning experience and not rebuilding one to try to save yourself some money, because they usually cost more to rebuild than what you can find good used ones for.

I have a SXB book that I have scanned to PDF, but my scanner did not have enough memory to do in one pass, so I have 3 files, and I cannot get them to merge into one file.

That's awesome! Does anybody have one like that in English?

Not likely.

Here's something that's even better though. Unfortunately when they saved this from the defunct site it was on, they missed a lot of the pictures. They missed starting with the 17th picture on each page. They also unsynch'ed some of the pictures and the corresponding text.

http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/index.html

Last edited:
Not likely.

Here's something that's even better though. Unfortunately when they saved this from the defunct site it was on, they missed a lot of the pictures. They missed starting with the 17th picture on each page. They also unsynch'ed some of the pictures and the corresponding text.

http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/index.html

Interesting article, shame its a bit messed up :(
The name Dr Rod rang a bell, so I did some searching & managed to find the whole original article as published by Classic Motorcycle Mechanics :D
This is the first page
http://www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/cmm_9-11_2002_1.pdf
To get the next page change the 1. at the end to a 2. There are 16 pages in all.
Im sure someone, with more computer knowledge than me, can link these pages to one file & save them on the site
cheers Kev

Just take the "1" off the end so it reads "..... 2002.pdf" and you'll get the whole thing in one big document.

Excellent! I'm glad somebody found the whole thing. I'd saved it to disk when it was on the UK site, but didn't have a convenient way to pass it on.

There ought to be a link to it in the Tech section here.

xjwmx sent me the zip file from when it was on the UK site. I'll post it here so it is easier to read than that 50mb pdf. Thanks xjwmx!

Ive been slowly translating the German manual by Hans-Joachim Pahl into English. I'm About halfway done. I was going to offer it back to the author in English in hopes that he would post it on his site. Or in the least get the OK to post it so we can that great info over here.

Ive been slowly translating the German manual by Hans-Joachim Pahl into English. I'm About halfway done. I was going to offer it back to the author in English in hopes that he would post it on his site. Or in the least get the OK to post it so we can that great info over here.

That would be epic.

justin
that would be brilliant :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have the German version but I dont read German :banghead:
You would make alot of XS members happy with your translation :D

I was just wondering whether you'd completed this Justin ? I'm a noob XS650er gathering my forces before starting on the bike.

Yes I want to know too is there a freshly translated from Deutsch version out there?

If there is you should circulate it here on the forums as well as get in touch with the original publisher.

Kind of a pain in the ass but take that German one and upload it to Google translate and a fairly readable result returns. I haven't gone through the whole thing yet but a quick skim and scan looked halfway decent there are some spacing problems though. Also it removed the pictures when I tried. Looking into other automated translation options.

Matt

Back