Stock Color? Painting Plastic?

Very true gary! My tank is peeling BAD because of the PO's paint job and a leaky gas cap. But... You could use spraymax2k clear coat. I have a can waiting until I get around to doing my tins. The stuff is supposed to be the best around, or so I've heard.

Pics:
img2701tv.jpg

img2702r.jpg

img2703av.jpg

The leaky caliper!!!!
img2704p.jpg

Last edited:
I also had not thought of that. Thank you both for the insight. I will keep this in mins when I get around to painting.

Short about the tank Detale

I figured paint stripper wouldn't be good on plastic. What should I do to remove the old paint then?
you can simply and safely remove the paint on the plastic covers by just wet sanding them. start with 600 and finish at 1500. you're going to want to use a raw plastic adhesion promoter on top of the raw plastic, then use a primer sealer and then base coat and clear. if you can, use flex additive in the sealer and clear, that will make the paint more durable with any flexing that may occur.

They have "wet" sand paper that doesn't get destroyed with water. You wet the item a bit and sand, wet it again and sand again...like that. Do what you will but I'd say brake fluid is WAY easier than sanding especially if you have a larger surface area.

If you do want to sand instead be sure to get a foam sanding block so you don't get "finger grooves" in there. I painted a few helmets recently and after the first try I got the foam block. Makes things easier.

Interesting, I happen to have brake fluid, I don't happen to have sand paper. I'm going to give that a shot first. I also have 3 layers of paint to remove.

Back