Stock fuse box wiring dillema

Docwits

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need y'alls help with trying to figure this out. Installed new wiring harness from Mike's and upon turning the key got no power. No power going to the main fuse. Jumped the main fuse from the battery and everything works fine. Took apart the wiring harness to the fuse box and found the two blade connections for the main fuse were disconnected just before the wiring meets the main harness. Reconnected and all is good, or is it.

My question is does anyone know which end of the fuse is "in" and which is "out?" Does it matter? I don't want to run the bike without the protection of the main fuse.

One wire from the fuse panel connects to another red wire, and the other is red with a white stripe. I looked at every wiring diagram I could find, with no luck.

If anyone knows, could you please answer in the form of "The wire on the side where the wires enter the panel (bottom in the picture) connects to the red and white wire", or the wire on the side they enter (bottom of pic) goes to the battery.

Thank you all in advance for your help in this manner.

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_173935144.jpg
    IMG_20160213_173935144.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I think I understand part of your question. To find out which side of the fuse is in or out, pull the fuses out, set your meter to DC voltage, ground the black lead, turn the key on, probe the fuse holders with the red meter lead, the fuse holders that show voltage are the in side, the side that doesn't show voltage is the out side.

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion, after further investigation I learned it is the side where the wires come in which is the side from the battery. I also found that the wires in the harness were swapped for the main fuse and the headlight! Instead of cutting further in the loom to correct it I swapped the amps on the fuses. Now I just need to remember that if I blow a fuse.

With all four fuses out only one fuse will have power on one side. The main fuse. This should be the fuse with red wires on each side. Once you install the main fuse and turn on the key then the rest should have power on one side.
Battery power comes to the main fuse then up to the key, then back to the fuse box for the rest of the fuses.
The headlight fuse should have the red/yellow wires, the ignition red/white wires, the brown wires power the rest of the bike.
Leo

Leo, correct. My red/yellow wires from the fuse box were connected to the red main lines in the harness. With all fuses out only the headlight fuse got power.

So I will use the headlight fuse position as my main. I am probably not explaining myself very well.

So what your saying is power from the battery goes to the red/yellow wired fuse. Does power from the red yellow wire go to the key switch?
In a stock wiring harness, which you don't have because you got it from Mike's, A red wire runs from the battery to the fuse, from the fuse a red wire runs to the key switch and the red wire from the reg/rec.
If your fuses are wired wrong, as in trying to use the red/yellow wires as main power it may not run power to the things it should.
The red wire from the reg/rec is the alternator output wire, this wire charges the battery.
I would check to make sure power is flowing the way it should and to things the way it should.
Leo

Yes, sending power to key switch. All other fuses have power only when key is on the way I have it wired. The only part of wires that were swapped was the connection of the fuse panel to the main harness, the red/yellow wires and red wires were switched. All lights, horn, starter, etc are all working normally. Can't start it right now since carbs are on the bench waiting to be rejetted.

Leo, thanks for your input, learning as I go here.

Back