Stock parts you can't have enough of

Twenty2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed quite a few parts bikes or an assortment of parts ads lately and I was wondering if there was anything that you can't have enough of? Parts that you would always want to be OEM sort of thing. For example maybe it's coils or rotors or side covers. If you saw an assortment of parts for sale is there something you would automatically look for even if you don't need it right now? For me right now it's TCI boxes but I have no real good reason for it aside from feeling like they don't last forever and having a spare or two sounds like the easiest fix. If there's something I should always be on the look out for it would be good to know.

A parts bike is a wonderful thing. I don't like to give more than about $100 for one, the less the better, lol. Just peruse some of the prices on eBay for stuff and you see what a good deal a parts bike can be. Nice wheels routinely list for $100 or more. Engine side covers have gone up, to like $50 or $60 each. Nice to have spares in case you lay her down. Carb sets in good shape list from $100 to $300 (and still need to be gone through, lol). Nice forks are easily $100+. Then there's all the little bits, things like turn signals, handlebar controls, seat/helmet locks and ignition switches. And the wiring harness, even if all hacked up, is still a valuable source for plugs and colored wires. My '78 was missing the seat/helmet lock when I got it. I put one from an XS500 parts bike on it, re-keyed to match the bike's key.

i wonder what happens to head-lamp ears ( the ones sitting on the front fork holding the head lamp). i have several from my bikes, however they are never straight, always got a bend, and i can't figure out how to straighten them since its not a single. i.e like the inside has an additional back plate, making it hard to straighten without bending something else. don't think they can be bought new, the few once i have seen in perfect like new condition run $100 .
anyone know how to straighten them ?

i wonder what happens to head-lamp ears ( the ones sitting on the front fork holding the head lamp). i have several from my bikes, however they are never straight, always got a bend, and i can't figure out how to straighten them since its not a single. i.e like the inside has an additional back plate, making it hard to straighten without bending something else. don't think they can be bought new, the few once i have seen in perfect like new condition run $100 .
Specials can be tweaked back into shape.....Standards? Not so much.

Search threads for ears straighten. I've got some how tos and it's a bit slow but possible to bring fairly bent up ears back if you're patient. Yup parts bikes not that I've ever bought one

I've noticed quite a few parts bikes or an assortment of parts ads lately and I was wondering if there was anything that you can't have enough of? Parts that you would always want to be OEM sort of thing. For example maybe it's coils or rotors or side covers. If you saw an assortment of parts for sale is there something you would automatically look for even if you don't need it right now? For me right now it's TCI boxes but I have no real good reason for it aside from feeling like they don't last forever and having a spare or two sounds like the easiest fix. If there's something I should always be on the look out for it would be good to know.

Totally depends on your situation. If there is a big shed with lots of space then a parts bike is for you. Problems with a parts bike is finding one that has all good parts on so you don't need to look for other parts bike to make up your stash, or another parts bike is in your future to fill that void.............possibly a third as well just for the sake of it..................... Can never have enough XS650's:laugh:

If room is in short supply its a matter of taking the time looking for that part. Make a list and as pointed pout a spare TCI is important, not just for a spare but to use it for diagnostics. About the only way to diagnose a faulty TCI is to replace it with a known good one.

Fleece bay is expensive and the best deals went years ago. That's not to say they don't come up. Keep a look out and it just might come up and if no one bids on it, bobs your uncle....................Got a full set of mufflers and headers from a 74/75. Ones in good nick were going for good money. I put in the starting bid of $100 and no one bid on them........Just luck.

Keep checking out the classified on here. lately there have been some good stuff sold on here for giveaway prices.

Chrome is the hardest thing to find still in good nick. As long as the part hasn't been damaged then surface rust can be cleaned up to for a 10' looking bike and it is surprising how much it cleans up from a shitty looking piece. .................Check out a few threads, (or start a thread asking for people to post up before and after their cleaned up parts), where people have cleaned up their parts, especially check out Mailmans XS2 thread.

Want a list. ........... Loom,SS Reg/Rect, TCI and stater might come up in a parts lot if someone is/has built a Hard-tail and converted to PMA. This will probably have the ..........................safety relays and solenoid as well. good spares

Factory loom. If the couplings are in good nick, that is a sign the loom will be ok
SS Reg/rect fro a TCI bike
TCI box,
Stater with the TCI picup still attached
.............. Although it is rare for a stator to crap out a spare won't go astray
(There is a Gonzo thread where an alternative t=for the factory TCI has been worked out.......It used the Factory picup so a spare of those is always good)

Under a heading of what could get damaged if the bike falls over

Fork, headlight bracket/ears........Specifically the Damper and washer parts that fit between the top and bottom of the brackets and triple tree (hard to find these parts).
Headlight bucket
Indicators
, (if origianal are wanted aftermarket ones could be more attractive)
Front and rear guard with number plate light.
Frame side covers can be bought aftermarket but if they come up for sale then they will be cheaper.
Engine side cases. Big item and not something that is usually needed but if a left side case comes up with the oil pump and clutch actuator on it for a good price then it's a handy spare.
Clutch cables; in a parts lot there might be some factory cables. Worth getting and may be thrown in if some other parts are bought.

Once you get to know your bike and been on here for a while, parts that might come in handy for spares is something you will work out. maybe a rear brake system, (MC and slave cylinder and reservoir), will come up and you decide, Why not

My two things I tend to hoard are first generation style gas tanks (XS-1, XS-1B, XS-2) and shouldered style rims front and back.

I have a few of each, but that never seems to be enough, just in case.

I am not into the high quality ( expensive ) parts
But stock brand new exhaust id run after them if the price was OK
Not dented tank good inside
And gearshifter pedals those I have needed now and then

I actually prefer original parts over much of the reproduced stuff. Even used, the quality is still better. Rubber parts especially, like the rubber caps for the adjustable 35mm forks and footpeg rubbers. Both are reproduced but the quality is bad. The footpeg rubbers wear "bald" in just a couple years, and the fork caps split.

I actually prefer original parts over much of the reproduced stuff. Even used, the quality is still better. Rubber parts especially, like the rubber caps for the adjustable 35mm forks and footpeg rubbers. Both are reproduced but the quality is bad. The footpeg rubbers wear "bald" in just a couple years, and the fork caps split.
Does that count for Sumo rubber products too ? I’ve seen people raging about how good they are, have you tried those too? Just curious as I have some rubber parts to replace.

No, I haven't tried the Sumo Rubber parts. I've managed to find good used originals so far for cheap.

Does that count for Sumo rubber products too ? I’ve seen people raging about how good they are, have you tried those too? Just curious as I have some rubber parts to replace.
I've bought from them and I was amazed at how quick the parts got here and the quality is very good

Per PGM's website, their parts are made in India. Personally, I'll take that over Chinese crap any day.
I've bought bits for my DT250 from Sumo. Quiet happy with their quality and service. Longevity however, is unknown at this point.

Back