Stock TCi coil with Boyer...

XS1961

XS addict!
Reaction score
Anyone ever fitted a Boyer using the stock TCi single coil? Wondering which of the red/white and orange wires from the coil goes to the black from the Boyer box?

Early Boyer systems will fire with the stock dual tower coil (the late Micro Power system will not, it requires a 0.6 ohm coil). The question is how long the igniter box will hold up, since primary resistance on the stock coil is lower than Boyer's recommendation. For specs go to www.boyerbransden.com .

Yeah, I used to run my other XS on stock twin coils with (the red box) Micro Digital for a year or so, it now has their dual output coil fitted.
On this particular bike (also with the red Micro Digital box )the Boyer dual output coil has failed but I do have a choice of two or three spare Yamaha tci-type coils I could (possibly) use .. Worth a try/risk?

I have been running a G.M. coil for years with my Boyer. They are the same specs .6 as Boyer coil. I do have a brand new Boyer Coil unopened. P.M. me.

Worth the risk? It's a grey area, really. Boyer uses the same red box for Yamaha, Triumph, BSA, and Norton parallel twins, but in the Yamaha kit they recommend a higher resistance coil than for the Brit twins, and I have no idea why--slightly higher red line specified for the Yam motor, maybe? I once blew a Boyer red box when a coil lost resistance, so I'd be concerned about the health of a decades old coil. I didn't know that Boyer sells a coil for the red box system; that must be something new. If the quality is anything like the Gill 0.6 ohm coil they sell with the Micro Power system, I'd be inclined to stay away from it. I've had bad luck with Dyna 5 ohm coils. I'm currently using an Accel 4.5 ohm unit. Fitment was a bit of a bitch, but it does a great job.

Ive had a couple of coils from them in the past, maybe its just offered for us in here in the UK? No problems so far with them, ones been on a bike of mine for nearly 10 years .
Reckon I wont risk the Yam coil after all ..

Back