Stock xs special with rear disc

hutch08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey... Figuring out my rear axle spacing on my chop and need some help...:doh:

When I dismantled my 79' I obviously didn't pay enough attention, I have all the bearings and seals in, and have the appropriate dust shield on each side... But then what.... Is it just the caliper between the brake side, is there a collar/spacer on the drive side?

I tried looking at the schematic online but its horrible to look at...
Even better, could someone take a picture from the rear to show the spacer set-up
Or if someone could measure the width off the swingarn between axle plates, and measure the distance on each side, from dust seal to axle plate...

Thanks!

heres some pics of an 81
theres a spacer then the caliper bracket on the right side ,Just the usual spacer/dust shield on the left,

Attachments

• Picture 432.jpg
    Picture 432.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 431.jpg
    Picture 431.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 103
Comparing your pictures to mine... looks like im in the right boat... just need to make up some extra spacers to fill the gap on either side. which should be equal size...

I was just concerned that i was missing a spacer for the drive side... seeing theres the collar plus the caliper on the brake side... but i guess the wheel is offset that way to be center... couldnt tell with the eyeballs.

Attachments

• 2010-12-08 18.12.06.jpg
    2010-12-08 18.12.06.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 2010-12-08 18.12.35.jpg
    2010-12-08 18.12.35.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 104
Yeah I got a bunch of those laying around... Debating on maybe making a license plate bracket that will be the left side spacer...

Ardcore frames have built in axle adjusters, see pic

5-1024x682.jpg

From a lot of what I've read on here and other forums, they make the axle plate spacing wider than the stock swingarm. I think they do this so a Harley wheel will fit. The stock swingarm is 8 1/4 inches between the axle plates. I measured my Harley once and I think it measures 8 1/2 inches.
I think if I was ever going to build a hardtail I would request thicker axle plates so stock adjusters fit, and the proper width for a stock wheel.

From a lot of what I've read on here and other forums, they make the axle plate spacing wider than the stock swingarm. I think they do this so a Harley wheel will fit. The stock swingarm is 8 1/4 inches between the axle plates. I measured my Harley once and I think it measures 8 1/2 inches.
I think if I was ever going to build a hardtail I would request thicker axle plates so stock adjusters fit, and the proper width for a stock wheel.

Good point, "the things I would do different, if i knew then what i knew now" haha very true... first time XS builder here, i'll take that into consideration next time around.

BTW, I used a laser to check the alignment of the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. That put me at a 1/2" spacer on the left and a 1/4" spacer on the right.

Kent

Back