Stolen bike. My Bike

Unfocused

I Love Boobies
Reaction score
Stolen right from under my eyes. If you followed my thread "Just Getting Started" you'll know that a "friend" and I were building my XS. The ownership was in the previous owners name throughout the entire process. Towards the end of the build about the time my friend Dave passed away, Jeff Hatcher the thief had the ownership transfered into his own name without me knowing. He has since distanced himself from me until today when I asked about getting the bike together for the next show.

I financed the entire build. Bought all the parts, did all the electrical, and cash to support the build. today I find out that a few months ago he took it upon himself to transfer the title into his name and has stolen all my parts.

What can I do? Where can I go? I have called the cops and they say it is a civil matter. All I have are reciepts for the items I bought for the bike. I feel as if I do not have a leg to stand on here. I have been swindled and stolen from. From the worst kind of person, a friend, or what I thought was one.

he can be reached at @Kzhatcher on Twitter if you feel the need to call him out on his thievery

NOTHING HEREIN SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE OR AS CREATING AN ATTONEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP BUT IS PROVIDED AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY

Small claims court is cheap and easy. You only need to convince the judge.

"convince the judge" means BRING EVIDENCE.

If I had a good case backed up with evidence and the guy has anything of value I would not go to small claims court but would get a lawyer to go after the guy on a fraud action seeking punitive damages. I would certainly TALK to a lawyer about it before I did anything.
Evidence includes physical stuff like receipts but it also means testimony. So I'd get my story together, get witnesses to back it up and then bring everything I have in the way of physical evidence (receipts, photos, emails, etc.) and weave it all together.

If all somebody has is their word and the other guy has his word and the legal title to the bike - he will win. But "legal title" alone isn't enough to win if it was obtained through fraud.

NOTHING HEREIN SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE OR AS CREATING AN ATTONEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP BUT IS PROVIDED AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY

I know nothing about canadian law

my comments are based on general legal principles evolved from english common law.

Some have trusted others with their life and not lived to tell.

Your build thread is evidence. It is date documented and has pics of both of you.

Was there a verbal agreement of any kind??????
Was the bike put under your name for the show and the article in the mag??????
Who payed for the bike originally before it was registered/titled??????

You ex friend done work to the bike;
Was he paid???????
What were the conditions of him helping you???????
If the bike was stored at his place for the whole time of the near 2 years of the build then what was the arrangement for that??????????

How was his time and space and materials, (power, Welding rods, wear and tear on tools), relate to the ownership/help of the bike??????

A judge/Mediator or lawer is going to ask these sorts of questions and a judge/mediator will base a decision on the answers to these sorts of questions. Although a shit act may have taken place in the end, nothing is 100% so your ex mate has a percentage input into the build and a Judge/Mediator would more than likely base a decision on percentages and who can show the best case will up their percentage.

Also document an exhaustive attempt/dealings to get in touch with your ex friend and any conversations or offers of solutions to this problem, (on your part), or to take this to a separate mediator, ( before going to a court one or to court), this will help your case, (if you take it to that level). And judges/mediators like it when people try to solve these problems and don't waste court time.

DO NOT MAKE ANY THREATS OR LOOSE YOU COOL WHEN DEALING WITH YOU EX FRIEND..

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but have had several dealings with mediated/small claims, (up to $5,000.00 here) court cases. Get good, (relevant to who you talk to or your experiance), legal advice. Try to keep your emotions separated when dealing with your ex friend.

Some major questions you have to answer for your self, and be honest about his contribution and how it relates to the bike.

Last edited:
Go remove said parts, I mean you may not own the bike, but the parts certainly are yours (per documentation)

DozerDan, I don't know how legal that is in Canada but if you did that here and got caught, then you can be had for theft of property.

DozerDan, I don't know how legal that is in Canada but if you did that here and got caught, then you can be had for theft of property.

I know the laws seem to get in the way, but end of the day how can you 'steal' parts that are 'yours'

I have been burned on similar things, it happens. People are shitty. I have over $5000 in parts and countless hours into a buggy that I built and raced with someone for 10 years. He got hard up for $ and sold it for pennies on the dollar. Guess what I got...

Thats shit. Post up on your facebook account and send me a friend request and I will spread the word about it. I have tonnes of friends in the custom bike and car community.

Btw thats not Jeff Hatcher the washed up wannabe rock star is it?

Last edited:
"convince the judge" means BRING EVIDENCE.

He has evidence, starting with his build thread. He doesn't need a slam dunk, a judge might award him partial payment, as in maybe half the bike's value. There is a lot of gray for the judge to consider. It is settled by a judge, which is why he is called a judge

1st your "friend" is a PIECE SHIT DID I SAY A PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!! ok just so you know small claims cort won't get your money back I''m still waiting on payment from 20 years ago I wone did not get the 1st.payment juge said I would have to sue again 3rd time I gave up cost me more than whats was owed. I would call up some of my" brothers" and go get the money or the bike, ez or hard he would give it up
just say'n

I would go strong arm that punk and get my shit back!! Bring a buddy if need be... Fuck involving the courts, just go get your shit back!!

It sounds like you did what I have been telling people for years not to do. You invested a lot of money in a bike you didn't have a title too.
This may sound cold but you deserve what you got.
You should have gotten the title in both you and your friends names. This way you would have to both sign off on it to sell it.
When it comes to money trust no one. Family is even worse than friends.
I would just chalk this up as a learning experience and then forget it. Get on with your life.
I learned a long time ago if I lend $20 to someone and never see them again it's money well spent.
Leo

Back