Streettracker project

73novaguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Over the next few months I will be adding to this section and showing you some things I did for my 78 XS650 Streettracker project. I'm just gonna throw out the obvious.

As far as frame mods and stuff I have pretty much just cut off everything except for the frame rails and will start from scratch with mounts. I should have the frame home in the next couple days to get working on tank mounts and getting it into a roller. I took the frame to work, where we have a dedicated welding and grinding room. As my shop is 3 car shop, all open, I need to find some kinda of 10 foot tall welding curtain thats 24 foot long so I can have my own welding room. Anyways.

The gas tank is an aluminum unit, much like the Storz XR750 based ones you see on Mules bikes. Storz tanks have a raised lip on the sides which I like better, but mine was less than half the price so I'll take it.

The motor will be a 277 re phased big bore, a xs650.com member doing my head porting. Hoos racing will be tearing engine apart and doing the re phase and getting cam ground. They will also be installing Mikes XS 5th gear, new rods. Forks are off from a FZR, dual Ducait Brembo binders, Top triple clamp has been sanded down and a CRF450 set of bar clamps put on there to alow ,e to run Pro taper style bars.

I will just throw up a few pics now and as things progress, I'll do a better job of describing the pics.

Justin
Bishops Custom Cycles.

Attachments

• DSCN0711.jpg
    DSCN0711.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN0714.jpg
    DSCN0714.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0716.jpg
    DSCN0716.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0721.jpg
    DSCN0721.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 255
A couple more, the orange and silver bikes are a couple choppers Ive done.

Attachments

• Fall Color Ride 3.jpg
    Fall Color Ride 3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN0721.jpg
    DSCN0721.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0720.jpg
    DSCN0720.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN0719.jpg
    DSCN0719.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 286
Ive been waiting for some extra time to get going on this, but here are a few more pics. got frame 80% done as far as smoothing, still need to add in different neck gussets, and mounts for exhaust and pegs. The pics with the tank on are with it just sitting there. It will be mounted up higher so it doesn't look so low, the tunnel is deep on it. I will mount the front end of the tank up a little also to give more attitude.

Also been waiting for some tax money to show up to get the motor sent out to have head ported and polished and crank rephased.

The little "L" shaped brackets are some aluminum I'm working on for my caliper brackets, the tank is an aluminum one also. And I finally found a powder coater near me (River City Powder Coat in LaCrosse, WI) that actually new what he was talking about when it comes to custom bikes and stuff. Last bike I built the guy was did industrial parts and kinda didn't know much about bikes.

Attachments

• DSCN0996.jpg
    DSCN0996.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN0997.jpg
    DSCN0997.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN1001.jpg
    DSCN1001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0983.jpg
    DSCN0983.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 251
Hey guys,
The motor will be a 277 re phased big bore, a xs650.com member doing my head porting. Hoos racing will be tearing engine apart and doing the re phase and getting cam ground. They will also be installing Mikes XS 5th gear, new rods.

Who's doing the head porting and How much is all of that going to run you? Curious b/c I'm really interested in doing the crank and cam, but I sure as in hell don't have a 20ton press to do the crank and I'm not going to buy one just for that. Especially since I don't have a garage to even put it in.

KevC

Ya the dual Brembos are off from a 2000 Ducati and I will be using the Brembo radial master Cylinder off from it as well. So that will be fun!

BigJimmy

A member off from another XS650 site. Here is here also on this site and has wrote a very good number of tech articles and flow numbers for our popular XS. He goes by the member name of Jack and he doesn't do complete motors, just heads and I'm not sure how limited he does them. I'll leave that up to him to tell you. The crank and cam I am having Hoos racing do. There located in Illinois (about 3 hr drive for me so its the closest thing I have and they specialize in the XS)

Curt698

The swingarm is a Radian. It looks aluminum, but they are steel. Its just nice to have the modern look of square tubing over the round!

Thanks for the compliments so far. I have all of the parts saved on my Ebay list and other people lined up to do motor work, just waiting on some money from taxes to finish some these things up. I'm sure we can all relate. Ive got 5-6 bikes in the shop now so its hard to put money in all of them. But basically working on just the XS right now so hope to make progress alot quicker.

Got it from a guy off from VFT.org, he just does them on the side and it takes him along time. So if you want one they are worth the wait, but takes a few months. Ive had him do a couple.

Back