Stripping- brake caliper paint = paint of the gods?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Trying to strip all the paint off my rear brake caliper. The first one Ifront) I used paint stripper, worked like a charm, 2 treatments, done, clean as a whistle. This second (rear) one, I have not only done a dozen applications with, but literally it's been soaking IN the paint remover all day and the last little bits and strips will not even bubble up, it's like they were forged in Hades furnace itself. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a product you guys would recommend? (short of Hades furnace that is). Thanks :)

Dave

Maybe from the factory that way or just baked on from use. You might need to tape and seal it up and go bead or soda blasting. That's what I had to do.

Aircraft remover seems to work wonders getting paint or finish off lots of stuff. Give it a shot. Beware though, it will eat through lots of stuff... including latex gloves, so be careful. We used it on a 72 Corvette frame and it worked awesome. Paint it on with a brush, let it sit for a while and do its thing, then scrub/rinse off what's left.

Rock Miracle works really well. Wear gloves, a respirator and goggles. I got some on my hand and it burned instantly. Its nice and thick, so just brush it on and let it sit. Work it with a wire brush if you have to then just rinse with water.

Are you going to repaint the caliper?
If so don't worry about getting it all just sand it so as to rough up the surface then paint it.
Leo

Back