Stuck on the side of the highway.

Kathos

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was cruising just fine. About 45 mph. Then my bike starts doing some crazy bike firing. Now it won't start.

If you can get at the plugs, you'll know... Then maybe limp home by cleaning/riding 'til it dies/repeat.

you got bright lights? Any tools wit yah?

yup pull plug check for spark.
what year, stock modded?
Battery capacitor points TCI pamco?

It's sounds kinda blurgy when I kick it. And it seems to wanna start less when I rev and kick it. Also the choke isn't helping at all.

Shut off fuel kick some more,the sweet spot for starting is just a tiny bit above idle.

Completely useless question! Are you ACTUALLY on he highway now??

If you are, that's amazing! I remember the good old days when you had to sit and wait until someone stops and helps you out!

Nope. Still on the side. People don't help. I don't know how to shut fuel off. Mikuni carbs.

You have done a few upgrades on the reg/rec, has somthing come loose.

ggGarys question was the most important for diagnosis.....Does your light work or is it bright. Charging system failing and low battery will cause those symtoms.

And why the hell would you go on a ride without tools, especially after new work.

I have your high output ignition. I did the reg and rec recently but neither are loose. My buddy towed me back home now. My headlight was on. Strong as it is usually when the bike is off. When I rev the bike, it gets brighter. I voltage checked the bike at 12.11v.
I tried a new pair of mikes iridium plugs and they didn't do anything.

The most recent thing I did was check the cam chain tension. It was good. Checked the valve gap. It was to large. I checked timing, it was good. And poured some premium fuel I had in my garage from February into it.

Kathos,

OK. Here awe some test you can do on the PAMCO. You can test without having to even turn the engine over.

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

Last edited:
So I'm down on my bike. Looking around with my voltmeter. I wanted to check power into the ignition. With the power on it reads 8v. So I'm like wtf?
I check my batter with the ignition on same voltage. Turn off the ignition and its 12v. I think we have the culprit.
What bothers me is that my battery lost juice while riding. That means either the battery is junk or my charging system has issues. Neither one is good. Do you think this is the cause of my issues?

It's a agm sealed battery. I charged the bike up to 13.8 volts and tried to kick it. No success. I'll try it again tomorrow. I need to check the voltage on the battery under load. I also need to test the ignition like Pete recommended. I hope it's an easy fix :(

Back