Stuck on the side of the highway.

:thumbsup:Shes alive!!!
So basically, I started taking apart the advance unit and i found that the pin is the one that sits behind the larger plate unit (the one that keeps the entire assembly from spinning on its own)
Essentially what must have happened is, the large flat cogged nut must have came loose, which allows the large rear plate to wobble. When this wobbled, it allowed the rear locating pin to slide underneath and shear the entire thing. (as seen below)
I ghetto rigged it back together to see if it fixed my issue and it worked!
Its obvious I need to re-tune the carbs because its not idleing the best with the new pilot jets.

So now I just need replacement parts.
Mikes 14-0652 part looks like what I need however it says "contact point ignition assembly".... Will this still work?

Attachments

• IMG_1588 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1588 (800x600).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 88
That is the correct part but (I can't comment from personal use but from what I have seen in other threads) there have been reports of those advance units being marginal especially the springs. May be time to look at the e-advance unit and do away with the auto advance unit.

Actually thats a really good point. Im gonna have to look into that. Can I install it with my 14-0911 kit?
You figure, the mechanical one is 70 and the electric is 100. Thats seems like a pretty worthy upgrade.

That would be a question for Pete. Maybe send him a PM. If not you can probably order the parts direct from Pete and maybe save a couple of bucks.

Kathos,

Yes, it will work with that kit. I would also suggest that you order a couple of the locating pins as well just in case the one that came loose is damaged.

Locating pin

Looking at yamahaxs650, it looks like the e-advance will work with my old pamco (it has the 60º rotor as seen in the picture).
If I buy this, it comes with an adapter that replaces the old advance unit. I shouldnt need any pins.
Do I have this correct?
Also, when I purchased the new ultimate coil, the ultimate coil and the green monster have different secondary terminal styles. On the green monster the plug wires just plug in. On the ultimate coil, they screw in. I see on Mikes website that they are supposed to have little rubber insulators (17-6804) or something but mine did not. I just screwed them in real tight. Will this hold or do I need those insulators?

Kathos,

The adapter that replaces the mechanical advancer still uses the same pin in the cam to locate it correctly, so make sure yours is not damaged.

The insulators for the coil help to keep the wires secure so they don't loosen. Either get MikesXS to send you the missing ones or you can just use rubber grommets available at Home Depot or other hardware stores.

Alright, Im glad you pointed that out. Just one more question. Is there a difference in the pamco plate position when installing the e-advance with the copper trigger vs the new trigger?
I noticed in the pictures for the copper cap, it tells you to set the pamco to a different "initial position" but on the current trigger it makes no mention of it.
If they are different, Im guessing the reason would be because the new style trigger lines the locating pins up differently. Is this correct?]

Installation Instructions Here

There is a suggested initial position for the plate a little further down that is basically where the original PAMCO was. The new aluminum advancer cap was refined a bit from the copper cap.

Back