Stuck with the starter I guess

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
Well, Sparkx says you can't really kick start a three-phase perm mag alternator. Really?

My starter is making bad noises so, I guess, I'll be looking at that fourth gear, huh?

Hello neighbor :bike:
I don't know a lot about that topic for the xs but I have seen on various forums that other bikes , i.e. Nortons are running the three phase and are running the three phase set ups.

Last edited:
Kent look for posts on retensioning the clip and removing the coil spring. You may or may not need to replace the gear. Welcome to the site.

You mean about bending the clip? I think I saw that, sounds like a cool trick. Thanks for the welcome. I like this forum, good folks, good info, good activity level. I'll try not to screw it up!

- in my XS650s i have RD pm's that i believe are 3 phase, running batteryless, that i can only kickstart-generally no problem, sometimes needs a couple of kicks to energise the capacitor...also run batteryless on my SR500 which is 3 phase, hardly ever need more than 1 kick, even cold...:shrug:

Huh! Well I just talked to the PO who said he normally kickstarted it. No problem. Maybe the guy at SparkX thought I meant it would be hard to kickstart without a battery, although even that sounds like it might be a non-issue.

I think I will fix the circlip and leave it on there, batt and starter. It is nice every once in a while to be able to hit that button when you kill it in an intersection.

Kent, you can't run the 3-phase Sparx without a battery, gotta use the 2-phase with capacitor for that. Maybe the rep you talked to miscued on something or was having one of those moments when the brain goes on break without notifying the mouth; I seem to have more of those as the years go by.

I don't know about the sparkx set up, but a P/M alternator with three wires from the stator is a three phase. Thats what most bikes use.
A few have just two wires from the stator, these are a single phase.

Back