Stuck!

Iceman_4090

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Im new to the forum but not new to motorcycles. I have owned 3 street bikes and a HD Sportster. Now i'm trying to build a bobber using the XS650. I guess what i'm looking for is some direction on where to start. I understand i need to obviously pick myself up an xs and have the frame modified but then what... what should i be looking for what are the must haves. what type of budget will i be looking at. Sorry for all the questions but this is something that i've been looking at doing for awhile and i'm finally starting to do the research. ANY help will be greatly appreciated!

Perhaps if you tried typing bobber in the search box?

Welcome to the forum.
There are lots of excellent build threads on here. Save pictures of the things you like because in a month or two you will not be able to find the picture on here again. check out the old XS of the month threads, the best of the best are found there.

Nah...Your not Stuck! ....Yet....:D

Not to be corny, but the biggest thing to do is have FUN. and you did the right thing by starting here. More knowledge around here than...well...than.

You can spend as much or as little on the bike as you want. Depends on how crazy you want to go, and how much time/money/resources you want to put into it. I know that doesn't help much, but check out Hughs Handbuilt and MikesXS for a good idea of parts and costs. And a little bit of elbow grease will go a long way if you put your own time and energy into it.

Unless you have a thing for basket cases, I would try to find a complete, running bike to start, or at least one with motor that has good compression. IMO...that is the only must. If you are going to hack into the frame, I will ask to stay away from the early classics. I think Hugh said it best in one post: there are plenty of ugly ass Specials and heritage's out there to hack into instead of cutting up a classic. If I misquoted/mis-attributed it, please let me know. Either way, I agree. There is a little purist hanging out in me somewhere.

Otherwise (again, IMO) there isn't a single "must have" other than two good tires, a gas tank, a safe frame and a motor that runs. It's your bike, so there isn't a wrong style. Start by looking at every possible XS you can, think about what you like, what you don't, and make if yours. Again: You can't go wrong. You don't even have to mod the frame: build it as a cafe instead. There are a number of picture threads here, otherwise just start googling XS cafe's, XS bobbers, choppers, etc.

You see the guys out in Sturgis with patches that say "I rode mine". It's not so much the fact that they ended up in Sturgis, it was the ride there that they are celebrating. The build here is the same thing: doesn't matter where you end up, as long as your happy with it, because you BUILT it. Most people will never attempt something in their life like this, so savor it =)

Ok...hop off the soap box. I'll let others chime in about common upgrades and such, but like I said, make if yours and have fun!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I might suggest browsing the XS650 TECH section on this site, Find a link at the top of the page.
Scroll down the list, under the heading of Maintainance and General trouble shooting, click on the Buying Guide, Getting to know your bike.
From there read any and all you want.
As others have said, finding a mostly complete running bike is a good place to start. I will add having good paper on anything you get is very important. Hate to have you get a bike spend years and thousands of dollars then find it was stolen or you can't get it titled.
Leo

Thanks i appreciate it guys. The problem im running into now is... I CANT FIND AN XS ANYWHERE! the only thing ive found was this...

3Ed3G13q15sc5F65qfd6h0be19aa0d871146d.jpg

is $3500 too much? how much work would be needed to turn it into this...

xs650-noid-SANY0945-587x407.jpg

You are starting expensive then throwing it away?
Hardly anything could be used for the conversion.
It is a swingarm you want hardtail.
Has mid controls you want forwards and I don't think those special headers work with the forwards? So the exhaust won't swap.
The wheels will move over but you want a clean front, the red bike has dual disc's.
So you get a titled frame and motor for your build.
And there really isn't any money in selling used parts.
I'd say wait and something more akin to your wants will show up.
For that matter there are finished bikes in the style you want on ebay for about that same money.
If that is what you are wanting though, it is your money.

+1

Weekendrider hit it spot on. Wait. And if you can, broaden your geographical search. with as many of these bikes that were built, it is only a matter of time before other, better, options are available.

What's a decent price on a stock complete bike... I guess I have found a few on CL but I feel like they are way too expensive for what they are.

Depends on the condition and how much emotional attachment the PO has for it....

I just picked up a running 81 with good paperwork for $700 out of rural MN. Granted it leaks oil like a banshee, but I also planned on tearing everything apart. I see stockers for under 1500-1000 quite often

Back