Stumped...wiring....any help is greatly appreciated

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Alright guys so here's my scenario. I have read every thread, crossreferenced every diagram and read the clymer, called my local guru and still nothing.

I am wiring my bobber with just what I need to start the engine. I have spark on both plugs, set the point gaps and ignition timing, however haven't set cam chain because i'm not exactly sure how to do this without running the engine besides setting it finger tight. I have this wired to what I BELIEVE is correct. It matches all the diagrams. I've gotten a few pops on both cylinders after fiddling with the points but it refuses to start. I have fuel, have tried starter fluid with no success. Have a charged battery.

I am officially confused...:confused:

Anyone have any suggestions?

would not soldering my connections weaken my harness enough to not start the bike?

I'm just confused because I've got fuel and spark and get random pops but not start up....

P.S. Please don't post a wiring diagram lol trust me i've seen it ha....

Thank You

Well, the timing could be off enough so it won't start. Have you checked it statically? You have to check the timing on each cylinder and make sure they are both correct.

Are you firing on Compression stroke and not exhaust? Don't ask how I know.

How do I go about checking this? pull a plug and watch for spark while covering plug hole with finger?

Say this was my issue....please tell me the solution is not pulling the camshaft out again....

Back